MD Helicopters, Inc. (MDHI) announced today the purchase of a new MD 500E by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR), Division of Enforcement. The custom-built MD 500E will perform a variety of missions in support of the DNR’s responsibility to manage natural lands, maintain healthy wildlife populations, and support law enforcement, firefighting and general forestry operations across the state’s more than 5.5 million acres of managed land.
This will be the first MD helicopter to join the DNR since the Aviation Unit was born in 1947. The MD 500E will join six (6) fixed wing aircraft and two (2) additional rotorcraft in the DNR hangars. In 2014, these aircraft combined to fly nearly 2,000 mission hours.
“From wildlife surveys to baiting, relocation and reconnaissance, and from fire detection and control to search and rescue efforts, telemetry studies and fish stocking, the DNR Aviation Unit plays such an incredibly important role in resource management,” commented Craig Kitchen, Chief Commercial Officer for MD Helicopters. “We are honored the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources chose to expand their fleet with the MD 500E.”
The MD 500E is a highly capable aircraft known worldwide for its speed, payload capability, maneuverability and cost effective operation. The Minnesota DNR’s MD 500E will feature the Rolls-Royce 250-C20B 420shp turbine engine, Fargo 21-gallon auxiliary fuel tank, wire strike protection system, provisions for the Talon LC Keeperless hydraulic release cargo hook to support external loads up to 2,000 pounds, and Onboard load weigh system. High-contrast main rotor blades, a Nightscanner® HID searchlight, and NVISB interior will provide improved visibility when flying through areas of dense brush or in low-light scenarios.
The right-hand command aircraft will have a cockpit configuration that features the Garmin 500H EFIS flight display and Garmin GTN650H touchscreen GPS/Navigation and Communications system, and the AMS44 dual channel audio panel.
“We needed an aircraft with a great safety record and small footprint that was affordable to operate. This helicopter will be a great addition to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources’ fleet of aircraft,” said Tom Buker, Chief Pilot for the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Enforcement Division. “It will help us better meet our ongoing commitments to conserve and manage the state’s natural resources.”
The new MD 500E is scheduled to begin service with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources in March 2016.
About MD Helicopters, Inc.
MD Helicopters, Inc. (MDHI), a Lynn Tilton company, is a leading manufacturer of commercial, military, law enforcement and air-rescue helicopters. The MDHI family of rotorcraft is world renowned for its value, versatility and performance, and includes the twin-engine MD 902 Explorer, and single engine versions of the MD 600N, MD 520N, MD 500E, MD 530F, MD 530G and MD 540A. The innovative NOTAR® system for anti-torque control with no tail rotor – a key feature of the MD 902, MD 600N and MD 520N – is used exclusively by MD Helicopters to provide safer, quieter performance and confined-area access capability.
- Boost Human External Cargo Systems Exhibiting at HAI Heli-Expo 2020
- eVTOL manufacturer Joby Aviation raises $590 Million
- Helicopter Foundation International changes name
- Bristow Supports Republic of Singapore Air Force, Australia Bushfire Relief Operations
- Genesys Aerosystems Offers New Line of Digital Radios
- Bristow to merge with Era Helicopters
- AirX proposes new tourist flights from Tokyo Heliport
- Elbit Systems Successfully Demonstrates High-Altitude High-Precision Aerial Firefighting Solution
- PS Engineering announces PAC45 with dual control head – PAC45D
- DRF Foundation to fund external air medical R&D projects
- Twirly Birds annual meeting to be held during HAI Heli-Expo 2020
- Airbus displays its customer-centric solutions at Heli-Expo 2020
- HAI Foundation Online Auction Is Now Open
- FAA Administrator to Attend HAI Heli-Expo 2020
- EHA launches European Rotors event to rival Vertical Flight Expo
- StandardAero makes component repair acquisition in Europe
- Far East air force looking to lease eight utility helicopters
- Hawaii Air Tour Task Force to Address Safety and Noise
- Genesys Adds Integration with PS Engineering
- Helinet announces new president and COO