In the last few days, Robinson Helicopter Company have put a new R44 on the FAA register. No big deal, many will think.
HeliHub.com takes a different view and regularly reviews data at airframe level and we think it is a big deal. Big enough deal for all our sources to be sworn to secrecy, assuming RHC will even tell them what’s going on.
Robinson have successfully produced over 6300 R44s to date, and have run two separate series of MSNs, as follows
- 0001 to 2425 (latest) for Astro, Raven I, Clipper I
- 10001 to 13925 (latest) for Raven II, Clipper II
With these numbers in mind, it is therefore intriguing to the HeliHub.com team that a recent addition to the FAA register is N234CD with MSN given as 30001 – see below. Our wider enquiries, including directly with Robinson, have met with silence, which ironically tells us that it’s radical enough nobody wants to talk about it.
The new aircraft must be special enough to warrant a new numbering series. Below is a chart of the differences between a Raven I and a Raven II (which we noted above have separate MSN series) to give a flavour of what level of differences we could be talking about. The new R44 model is likely to have a certification requirement with it, we believe.
It also makes us wonder what Robinson may have planned for the 20001 et seq number series, unless they are expecting Raven II production to exceed 10,000?
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- 18-Nov-20 N442JP Robinson R44 Austell, US-Georgia
- R44 Cadet Enters Service with ICE Helicopters
- Air Florida Helicopter Charters voluntarily files for Chapter 11 protection
- Voler Aviation Services add third helicopter type to training fleet
- 20-Oct-20 RA-04327 Robinson R44 Bobrovskoye, Russia (4F)
- 19-Oct-20 N31136 Robinson R44 Washington Island, US-Wisconsin
- 16-Oct-20 N500DL Robinson R44 Pahrump, US-Nevada
- 03-Oct-20 C-FSSU Robinson R44 II Nottawasaga, Canada
- 12-Sep-20 N537BC Robinson R44 Willow, US-Alaska
- 29-Aug-20 B-7537 Robinson R44 Longnan, China (1F)
- 28-Aug-20 C-____ Robinson R44 New Liskeard, Canada
- Robinson R44 – FAA AD 2020-18-08 – Engine Air Intake System
- 26-Aug-20 RA-04393 Robinson R44 Krasnaya Polyana, Russia
- 13-Aug-20 SP-SVW Robinson R44 Sady, Poland
- 13-Aug-20 OK-??? Robinson R44 Zamberk, Czech Republic
- 08-Aug-20 N89LA Robinson R44 Logan, US-Iowa
- 06-Aug-20 N61MX Robinson R44 Ashton, US-Idaho
- Rotor Accessories produces tear-resistant R44 sun shades
- Estonian Air Force starts retirement of the Robinson R44
- 26-Jul-20 G-WTWT Robinson R44 II Herne Bay, UK