Honeywell Aerospace (NYSE: HON) has signed a contract to supply its next-generation HTS900 engine to Marenco Swisshelicopter.
The HTS900, which generates strong performance at high altitudes and in hot temperatures while reducing emissions and pilot workload, is to be installed in the new Marenco SKYe SH09 helicopter in the first production aircraft agreement for the new Honeywell engine.
“The Honeywell HTS900 engine provides helicopter owners and pilots with twin-engine performance with a single-engine installation. This means better performance and efficiency for a lower cost of ownership,” said Steve Lien, vice president, Defense and Space International at Honeywell Aerospace. “Beyond better performance, the HTS900 produces substantial maintenance savings, meaning operators can focus more on keeping their helicopters in the air and running missions rather than on the ground getting fixed.”
Marenco Swisshelicopter pilots will benefit from increased payload capacity at high altitudes as a result of the HTS900’s high power-to-weight ratio. The engine, which weighs just 338 pounds, features a dual centrifugal compressor that generates a power output of over 1,000 shaft horsepower while also reducing fuel consumption.
“Increasing operational efficiency, while simultaneously reducing maintenance time and costs, is an ever-present concern,” said Martin Stucki, CEO at Marenco Swisshelicopter. “Honeywell is enabling us to do this with a future-proofed package that allows us to increase power — and therefore payload — as well as providing room for engine growth within the same architecture.”
Three HTS900 engines have already been delivered to support a prototype flying program. This includes one instrumented engine to support Marenco Swisshelicopter in its certification activities with the European Aviation Safety Agency and the Federal Aviation Authority through 2016.
About the HTS900 engine
The HTS900 engine is Honeywell’s next-generation, modern turbine engine for light to medium helicopters. The engine uses a dual centrifugal compressor to provide operators with greatly improved high and hot performance that means going farther, faster, with heavier loads, using less fuel.
Pilot workload is also reduced, especially during startup, due to the inclusion of a dual-channel full authority digital engine control (FADEC) with manual backup provision. This advanced FADEC makes flying procedures more secure and engine maintenance, planning and troubleshooting more efficient. As part of the contract, Honeywell will also provide wide-ranging helicopter life-cycle support to ensure Marenco Swisshelicopter has long-term control of its direct maintenance costs.
- Kopter promotes SH09 in air medical operations
- SH09 third prototype achieved several firsts
- SH09 prototype returns home with improved aerodynamics
- Kopter SH09 helicopter test flights go ahead in Sicily
- Kopter receives Production Organization Approval from FOCA
- Rainier Heli-International adds five SH09 options
- Kopter and INAEC launch SH09 in the Philippines
- Kopter’s SH09 flies with a new main rotor configuration
- Kopter introduces its new website!
- Kopter to present final design features of its SH09 at Heli-Expo 2020
- Kopter Group and Korea Aerospace Industries enter into cooperation
- Kopter’s SH09 Flight Test Program moves forward
- Kopter participates in Zigermeet 2019
- Kopter enters the Brazilian market
- Paradise Helicopters visits Kopter’s SH09 flight test base in Pozzallo
- Metro Aviation signs an agreement with Kopter
- SH09 third prototype flies higher and faster in Sicily
- Kopter and Louisiana State announce new helicopter facility
- Kopter SH09 successfully completed initial flight tests
- Kopter Group will exhibit its SH09 at Heli-Expo 2019