The Living Legends of Aviation have also announced that Bill Chiles – chief executive officer emeritus of Bristow Group – will receive the “Vertical Flight Hall of Fame Award” at their award ceremony at the Beverly Hilton in January. The award is presented by Bell Helicopter. Mr. Chiles graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a BBA in Petroleum Land Management and an MBA at Southern Methodist University in Dallas in 1972.
Chiles joined Bristow in 2004 as CEO, President and a board member after a 32-year career in the offshore oil & gas drilling business, retiring ten years later. During his tenure, Bristow Group grew from $400 million in revenue in 2004 to almost $2 billion by 2014. He continues to serve as a Senior Advisor and CEO Emeritus through July 2016.
He began his career with Western Oceanic, Inc., as a Floorman, Derrickman, and Driller in the North Sea out of Aberdeen, Scotland, and then Rig Manager, Operations Manager, and VP of Domestic Operations in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico. In 1977 he co-founded Chiles Drilling Company, which later became Chiles Offshore Corporation and was acquired by Noble Drilling in 1994. Leaving Chiles Offshore, he founded Southwestern Offshore Corp, operating ten offshore drilling units in the Gulf of Mexico, Middle East, and Trinidad. He served as CEO & President until Southwestern was acquired by Cliffs Drilling Company in 1996. After Bill left Cliffs, he founded a second “Chiles Offshore” and built and operated five ultra-premium jackup offshore drilling units targeting very deep, high temperature and high pressure drilling projects in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico and Trinidad. The company was merged into ENSCO International in 2002, and Bill became VP of Business Development for ENSCO. In 2003, he joined Grey Wolf Inc., a publicly traded land oil & gas drilling company, as Executive VP & COO until joining Bristow.
Bill Chiles is a Co-Managing Partner of Pelican Energy Partners, a private equity firm specializing in investments in the energy service sector.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- Nepal – Summit Helicopters rebrands back to original Fishtail Air name
- Airbus appoints Head of External Communications
- Garmin® unveils the fourth generation GPS/NAV/COMM
- Boeing delivered more new Apaches than 737s in 2019 Q4
- Farewell Message from Matt Zuccaro as he hands over HAI
- Manufacturing of Tiltrotor AW609 wind tunnel model via SLS and Windform
- Sikorsky, Rheinmetall Unveil Plans for German Heavy-Lift CH-53K
- Vertical Flight Society Announces Continued Strong Growth
- Era Group Names Senior Vice President of Business Development
- Schiebel Camcopter S-100 deployed for river pollution crisis in Malaysia
- 25,000 missions for Essex & Herts Air Ambulance
- Bristow used Chapter 11 process to drop Airbus H175 order
- US Navy awards $2.68 Billion contract for APKWS rockets
- THOMMEN delivers first multi function displays for the AW129
- Milestone Aviation Group names CEO
- Air Methods Promotes new CEO
- HH-60W enters chamber for defense systems testing
- Botswana police order three Enstrom 480B
- “Who Rates Best to Avoid Fatal Helicopter Accidents? Who Rates Worst?”
- S.A.F.E. will present a Maintenance Safety session at Heli Expo 2020