The Living Legends of Aviation have also announced that Bill Chiles – chief executive officer emeritus of Bristow Group – will receive the “Vertical Flight Hall of Fame Award” at their award ceremony at the Beverly Hilton in January. The award is presented by Bell Helicopter. Mr. Chiles graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a BBA in Petroleum Land Management and an MBA at Southern Methodist University in Dallas in 1972.
Chiles joined Bristow in 2004 as CEO, President and a board member after a 32-year career in the offshore oil & gas drilling business, retiring ten years later. During his tenure, Bristow Group grew from $400 million in revenue in 2004 to almost $2 billion by 2014. He continues to serve as a Senior Advisor and CEO Emeritus through July 2016.
He began his career with Western Oceanic, Inc., as a Floorman, Derrickman, and Driller in the North Sea out of Aberdeen, Scotland, and then Rig Manager, Operations Manager, and VP of Domestic Operations in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico. In 1977 he co-founded Chiles Drilling Company, which later became Chiles Offshore Corporation and was acquired by Noble Drilling in 1994. Leaving Chiles Offshore, he founded Southwestern Offshore Corp, operating ten offshore drilling units in the Gulf of Mexico, Middle East, and Trinidad. He served as CEO & President until Southwestern was acquired by Cliffs Drilling Company in 1996. After Bill left Cliffs, he founded a second “Chiles Offshore” and built and operated five ultra-premium jackup offshore drilling units targeting very deep, high temperature and high pressure drilling projects in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico and Trinidad. The company was merged into ENSCO International in 2002, and Bill became VP of Business Development for ENSCO. In 2003, he joined Grey Wolf Inc., a publicly traded land oil & gas drilling company, as Executive VP & COO until joining Bristow.
Bill Chiles is a Co-Managing Partner of Pelican Energy Partners, a private equity firm specializing in investments in the energy service sector.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- Air BP rolls out Airfield Automation digital technology across São Paulo heliports
- Bell Announces Delivery of First Bell 505 to Horizon International Flight Academy
- Frost & Sullivan Presents the Evolving UAM Landscape Up to 2040
- Sikorsky Donates S-76® Airframe
- EASA certifies Safran Aneto-1K in Leonardo AW189K
- New helipad opens at Maidstone Hospital
- CEO of Chinook Helicopters in Abbotsford among nation’s Most Powerful Women
- Southwest Fuel Systems Announces New Triumph Hydromechanical Unit MRO Capability for RR M250 Engines
- Airbus delivers first SAR H145 for German Armed Forces ahead of schedule
- Permali to supply ballistic protection for Royal Navy Commando Merlin fleet
- New app launched for owners to track inspections, maintenance, billing etc
- RYAN AEROSPACE launches HELIMOD Mark III PLUS+ at I/ITSEC
- Elbit helps add Integrated Weapon System to MD530MG
- AMSTAT announces an upgraded Dashboard for AMSTAT Premier and Connect
- Air Evac Lifeteam closes two Arkansas bases
- Horizon purchased Entrol a Bell 505 FTD Level 2 simulator
- Reiser wins Australian Forces contract for MRH90 Maintenance Training Rig
- Major Trauma Centre first in UK to benefit from weather station
- Transformative Vertical Flight 2020 and eVTOL Symposium
- StandardAero and Thales Team on AS350 autopilot