The Living Legends of Aviation have also announced that Bill Chiles – chief executive officer emeritus of Bristow Group – will receive the “Vertical Flight Hall of Fame Award” at their award ceremony at the Beverly Hilton in January. The award is presented by Bell Helicopter. Mr. Chiles graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a BBA in Petroleum Land Management and an MBA at Southern Methodist University in Dallas in 1972.
Chiles joined Bristow in 2004 as CEO, President and a board member after a 32-year career in the offshore oil & gas drilling business, retiring ten years later. During his tenure, Bristow Group grew from $400 million in revenue in 2004 to almost $2 billion by 2014. He continues to serve as a Senior Advisor and CEO Emeritus through July 2016.
He began his career with Western Oceanic, Inc., as a Floorman, Derrickman, and Driller in the North Sea out of Aberdeen, Scotland, and then Rig Manager, Operations Manager, and VP of Domestic Operations in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico. In 1977 he co-founded Chiles Drilling Company, which later became Chiles Offshore Corporation and was acquired by Noble Drilling in 1994. Leaving Chiles Offshore, he founded Southwestern Offshore Corp, operating ten offshore drilling units in the Gulf of Mexico, Middle East, and Trinidad. He served as CEO & President until Southwestern was acquired by Cliffs Drilling Company in 1996. After Bill left Cliffs, he founded a second “Chiles Offshore” and built and operated five ultra-premium jackup offshore drilling units targeting very deep, high temperature and high pressure drilling projects in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico and Trinidad. The company was merged into ENSCO International in 2002, and Bill became VP of Business Development for ENSCO. In 2003, he joined Grey Wolf Inc., a publicly traded land oil & gas drilling company, as Executive VP & COO until joining Bristow.
Bill Chiles is a Co-Managing Partner of Pelican Energy Partners, a private equity firm specializing in investments in the energy service sector.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- Dickson sworn in as new FAA Administrator
- Bell Announces 200th Bell 505 Jet Ranger X Delivery
- Pratt & Whitney to Open New Engine Overhaul Centre in Brazil
- Life Flight Network Achieves NAAMTA Medical Transport Accreditation
- WAI Receives Grant from the ISTAT Foundation
- Cornwall Air Ambulance appoints first Vice President
- Kopter enters the Brazilian market
- Leonardo confirms solid presence in the Brazilian VIP market at
- Elbit to supply components for CV-22 Color Helmet Mounted Display System
- East Anglia Air Ambulance to extend Norwich head office
- Forecast International Publishes White Paper on Global Outlook for Helicopters
- German NH90s get upgrade with Rohde & Schwarz radios
- Airbus now accepting nominations for sixth annual ‘Innovation in Safety Award’
- Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance Shortlisted for Third Sector Awards
- Thames Valley Air Ambulance partners with what3words app
- STARS announces winners of $4.1M Saskatchewan Lottery
- Genesys Aerosystems Equipped Leonardo TH-119 Achieves IFR Certification
- Boeing opens V-22 production facility
- Helicentre Announces Bristow CPL(H) Scholarship
- Keynote Speakers Announced for CHC Safety & Quality Summit