The Living Legends of Aviation have also announced that Bill Chiles – chief executive officer emeritus of Bristow Group – will receive the “Vertical Flight Hall of Fame Award” at their award ceremony at the Beverly Hilton in January. The award is presented by Bell Helicopter. Mr. Chiles graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a BBA in Petroleum Land Management and an MBA at Southern Methodist University in Dallas in 1972.
Chiles joined Bristow in 2004 as CEO, President and a board member after a 32-year career in the offshore oil & gas drilling business, retiring ten years later. During his tenure, Bristow Group grew from $400 million in revenue in 2004 to almost $2 billion by 2014. He continues to serve as a Senior Advisor and CEO Emeritus through July 2016.
He began his career with Western Oceanic, Inc., as a Floorman, Derrickman, and Driller in the North Sea out of Aberdeen, Scotland, and then Rig Manager, Operations Manager, and VP of Domestic Operations in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico. In 1977 he co-founded Chiles Drilling Company, which later became Chiles Offshore Corporation and was acquired by Noble Drilling in 1994. Leaving Chiles Offshore, he founded Southwestern Offshore Corp, operating ten offshore drilling units in the Gulf of Mexico, Middle East, and Trinidad. He served as CEO & President until Southwestern was acquired by Cliffs Drilling Company in 1996. After Bill left Cliffs, he founded a second “Chiles Offshore” and built and operated five ultra-premium jackup offshore drilling units targeting very deep, high temperature and high pressure drilling projects in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico and Trinidad. The company was merged into ENSCO International in 2002, and Bill became VP of Business Development for ENSCO. In 2003, he joined Grey Wolf Inc., a publicly traded land oil & gas drilling company, as Executive VP & COO until joining Bristow.
Bill Chiles is a Co-Managing Partner of Pelican Energy Partners, a private equity firm specializing in investments in the energy service sector.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- Boost Systems improves HEC Suspension Line System
- Deadline to Apply for WAI Scholarships Here
- New-generation Euroflir410 selected for NH90 TFRA & Special forces
- Leonardo demonstrates helicopter-UAV teaming in the UK with its AW159 Wildcat
- Starspeed to manage two H145s on new polar vessel Ultramarine
- Ontario gold prospecting uses helicopter-borne geophysical survey
- Leonardo CEO Profumo given 6 year jail sentence and €2.5M file
- US Marine Corps retires AH-1W Cobra after 34 years
- NHV Group appoints Head of Commercial
- Simrik Air has initiated air ambulance services for COVID-19 patients
- CAE hands over CAE 700MR NH90 simulator to Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Helipad reopens at Ellwood City Medical Center
- Russian Helicopters delivers five Mi-8MTV-1
- WR-ALC completes first TH-1H proof-of-concept overhaul
- New FreeFlight ADS-B receiver reduces reliance on ground, radar stations
- 50+ North Sea workers isolating after rig flights
- NHV to increase hangarage at Aberdeen
- Full Ice clearance for AW169 delayed by COVID19
- Air Methods chooses Airbus HCare to support its fleet of 31 EC145 helicopters
- Abaco wins cabin computer contract with helicopter OEM