MD Helicopters announced today receipt of a firm fixed price contract to manufacture and deliver twelve MD530F Cayuse Warrior Scout Attack Helicopters with enhanced mission equipment to the Afghan Air Force (AAF). This award, contracted through the Department of the Army Non-Standard Rotary Wing, reflects and reinforces the confidence of the U.S. Army in MD Helicopters’ ability to deliver reliable, mission-ready aircraft to support the United States Military and our partner nation Allies.
MD Helicopters delivered the first twelve MD530F Cayuse Warrior helicopters to the Afghan Air Force in support of the 2015 fighting season. These twelve aircraft were operational in theater in fewer than 9 months from contract award, and have participated in a number of successful operations. In addition, five MD530F helicopters, already serving as primary training aircraft in Afghanistan, have been upgraded to the Cayuse Warrior configuration.
“The MD 530F has played an integral role in building the capabilities of the Afghan Air Force and the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces since the first aircraft arrived in Shindand in 2011,” said Lynn Tilton, CEO for MD Helicopters. “In both training and combat configurations, the fleet has consistently maintained a mission launch rate of greater than 97%. This reliability – coupled with ease of operation, proven close air support and close air attack capabilities – stands as a testament to the legacy of this iconic airframe.
MD Helicopters has demonstrated the ability to deliver fully integrated gunships to theater in less than 12-months. Our expertise in rapid deployment serves to address a real-time need for the warfighter.
As with the 16 MD 530F Cayuse Warrior helicopters currently in fleet with the AAF, the mission equipment package includes:
- Rhode & Schwarz M3AR tactical radio communications solution,
- Aviatech tactical communication antennas,
- DillonAero Mission Configurable Aircraft System (MCAS) and fixed-forward sighting system,
- Kinetic Defense ballistic armor panels,
- FN HMP400 .50 caliber gun pods from FN Herstal,
- 2.75″ rocket capability.
The 12 new Cayuse Warrior Scout Attack helicopters will be delivered to meet the needs of the 2016 fighting season.
- 08-Feb-19 225 MD Helicopters MD530F Saydabad, Afghanistan
- 28-May-11 MD Helicopters MD530F Apatzingan, Mexico
- 31-Jan-11 N530RL MD Helicopters MD530FF Waterman’s Peak, US-Arizona (1F)
- ??-Nov-10 MD Helicopters MD530F San Marcos, US-California
- MD Helicopters delivers newly converted MD530F to San Diego Sheriff
- 17-Feb-09 1144 MD Helicopters MD530MG Culiacan, Sinaloa State, Mexico