Marine Wing Support Squadron 374 unveiled a memorial honoring two Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 169 pilots at the Strategic Expeditionary Landing Field, Jan. 23, 2016.
The support squadron built the memorial to commemorate Maj. Elizabeth Kealey, pilot, and Capt. Adam Satterfield, co-pilot, and unveiled the project on the anniversary of the pilots’ passing following a crash of their Bell UH-1Y Venom Light Utility Helicopter.
“We wanted something to memorialize those pilots because they lost their lives in the line of duty,” said 2nd Lt. Benjamin M. Baltz, combat engineer platoon commander, MWSS-374. “HMLA-169 requested we build the memorial in time for the anniversary.”
Construction for the memorial began months in advance. The memorial, located south of the SELF, stands completed at the location of the mishap.
“We began with all the groundwork before we put in the concrete and created a mold out of plywood,” Baltz said. “The completed memorial is a ten by ten foot pad with [a pedestal] holding a mounted plaque.”
Following the mishap, HMLA-169 held a memorial service in February of 2015 at the [HMLA-169] hanger in which hundreds of Marines from Marine Aircraft Group 39 gathered to pay their respects.
“Their detailed attention to the memorial and charitable contribution will undoubtedly be a location where Vipers can gather and reflect on the lives of Maj. Kealey and Capt. Satterfield,” said Capt. Joseph F. Deignan, pilot, HMLA-169. “On the day of the unveiling, a small contingency of Vipers gathered around the memorial.”
The ten pilots with HMLA-169 attended the unveiling to remember their fallen comrades.
“Their work came at a perfect time for the Viper family,” Deignan said. “With the hard work of MWSS-374, HMLA-169 can continue to move forward in memory of its fallen few.”
- Boeing Receives $265 Million Chinook Helicopter Order
- Churchill Navigation and Shotover Camera Systems Merge
- USAIG expands safety collaboration with Airbus
- Airbus Fleet Master presents uninterrupted data chain
- EHang Launches Intelligent Aerial Firefighting Solution
- VHA Receives TIA on 206B Version 2 Main Rotor Blades
- Lifeflight’s AW139 fleet marks milestone
- Bristow to close two Lousiana bases with 350 job losses, claims union
- Eight Air Evac Lifefteam bases in Arkansas now carry blood
- Malaysian Ministry of Health outsources EMS helicopter service
- Metro Aviation delivers first of two helicopters to HealthNet
- Apollo Air Services to promote Aviation Clean Air purifier units in Europe
- 06-Aug-20 N911EP Hughes OH-6 Chesterfield, US-Missouri
- Kaman Recognized by Sikorsky as Elite Supplier
- Maelstrom AFB opens Helicopter Operations Alert Facility
- EHang to Expand Production Facility
- Rotor Accessories produces tear-resistant R44 sun shades
- HeliSpeed signs SAR support agreement with British International
- Airinmar selected by Air Methods for warranty and value engineering services
- Former HAI chairman Wisecup passes away