Marine Wing Support Squadron 374 unveiled a memorial honoring two Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 169 pilots at the Strategic Expeditionary Landing Field, Jan. 23, 2016.
The support squadron built the memorial to commemorate Maj. Elizabeth Kealey, pilot, and Capt. Adam Satterfield, co-pilot, and unveiled the project on the anniversary of the pilots’ passing following a crash of their Bell UH-1Y Venom Light Utility Helicopter.
“We wanted something to memorialize those pilots because they lost their lives in the line of duty,” said 2nd Lt. Benjamin M. Baltz, combat engineer platoon commander, MWSS-374. “HMLA-169 requested we build the memorial in time for the anniversary.”
Construction for the memorial began months in advance. The memorial, located south of the SELF, stands completed at the location of the mishap.
“We began with all the groundwork before we put in the concrete and created a mold out of plywood,” Baltz said. “The completed memorial is a ten by ten foot pad with [a pedestal] holding a mounted plaque.”
Following the mishap, HMLA-169 held a memorial service in February of 2015 at the [HMLA-169] hanger in which hundreds of Marines from Marine Aircraft Group 39 gathered to pay their respects.
“Their detailed attention to the memorial and charitable contribution will undoubtedly be a location where Vipers can gather and reflect on the lives of Maj. Kealey and Capt. Satterfield,” said Capt. Joseph F. Deignan, pilot, HMLA-169. “On the day of the unveiling, a small contingency of Vipers gathered around the memorial.”
The ten pilots with HMLA-169 attended the unveiling to remember their fallen comrades.
“Their work came at a perfect time for the Viper family,” Deignan said. “With the hard work of MWSS-374, HMLA-169 can continue to move forward in memory of its fallen few.”
- Far East air force looking to lease eight utility helicopters
- Hawaii Air Tour Task Force to Address Safety and Noise
- Genesys Adds Integration with PS Engineering
- Helinet announces new president and COO
- 2019 mission statistics of the DRF Group
- Nepal – Summit Helicopters rebrands back to original Fishtail Air name
- Airbus appoints Head of External Communications
- Garmin® unveils the fourth generation GPS/NAV/COMM
- Boeing delivered more new Apaches than 737s in 2019 Q4
- Farewell Message from Matt Zuccaro as he hands over HAI
- Manufacturing of Tiltrotor AW609 wind tunnel model via SLS and Windform
- Sikorsky, Rheinmetall Unveil Plans for German Heavy-Lift CH-53K
- Vertical Flight Society Announces Continued Strong Growth
- Era Group Names Senior Vice President of Business Development
- Schiebel Camcopter S-100 deployed for river pollution crisis in Malaysia
- 25,000 missions for Essex & Herts Air Ambulance
- Bristow used Chapter 11 process to drop Airbus H175 order
- US Navy awards $2.68 Billion contract for APKWS rockets
- THOMMEN delivers first multi function displays for the AW129
- Milestone Aviation Group names CEO