StandardAero’s Helicopter business unit has launched a new engine compressor case life extension program to help Rolls-Royce M250 engine operators reduce maintenance service intervals and keep their helicopters in the air for longer periods of time, reducing overall operating costs.
StandardAero developed the EnduroCoat 3500, a Rolls-Royce approved, advanced technology patent-pending coating system, which reduces plastic breakout problems that are a common maintenance issue on M250 compressor cases.
“Plastic breakout is an industry problem that no one has been able to solve until now,” said Manny Atwal, Vice President & General Manager of StandardAero Helicopters. “We believe our development of the EnduroCoat 3500 coating solution will be a true differentiator for M250 Series II engine operators.”
Currently, Rolls-Royce M250 Series II compressor cases are used in more than 6,000 helicopter engines worldwide. Historically, plastic breakout in compressor cases leads to downtime for operators, costing them valuable time and money. The new EnduroCoat 3500 compressor case reduces the problem of plastic breakout and StandardAero is offering a conditional lifetime warranty guarantee for customers, excluding erosion, corrosion FOD or other damage to compressor stator vanes.
“Over time, cracks can initiate at the root of the blades within M250 engine compressor cases, due to thermal cycling. As the cracks grow, they propagate towards adjacent cracks, eventually causing plastic breakout,” explained Graeme Crawford, StandardAero Repair Development Engineer. “The EnduroCoat 3500 improves plastic adhesion which reduces the propagation of plastic cracks. Additionally, the EnduroCoat 3500 drastically reduces corrosion of the base metal which also contributes to plastic breakout. This ingenuity makes it possible to minimize plastic breakout within the compressor case, which in turn, minimizes time lost and money spent for operators.”
Through fielded engine trials, StandardAero EnduroCoat 3500 had achieved a 20% increase in compressor case lap shear strength in comparison to industry standard repair procedures. The new EnduroCoat program begins on March 1 and StandardAero is currently accepting compressor cases for repair at the company’s Winnipeg, Canada maintenance, repair and overhaul facility.
- Air Methods donates AS350B2 to Mercy Air Africa
- ITT Enidine selected as partner for Bell 360 program
- PS Engineering responds to customer requests with latest PAC45J audio controller
- Bell Opens Global Commercial Business Center
- GKN Aerospace promotes its role in German NH90 order
- NZ helicopter operator charged over volcano tourist health and safety
- Korean Air extends USMC H-53 APAC maintenance contract
- Aviation Data Solutions launches unique software solutions for operators and handling agents
- ConnectSkies agency champions ‘green’ helicopters
- Transport Canada strengthens ELT requirements
- GKN wins Boeing silver award for AH-64 and CH-47 program work
- Edmonton Police take delivery of new Airbus H125
- South Korea certifies the VK-2500PS-03 engine for the Mi-171A2
- Wales Air Ambulance starts 24×7 ops
- DynCorp extends CalFire support contract
- Germany procures 31 NH90s for Navy role
- NASA Begins Flight Testing Campaign for Future Airspace Mobility
- EASA Approves HTC Blades for Bell Huey
- Philippine Navy completes vertrep exercise with AW109
- Milestone delivers first S92 to Caverton Helicopters