Universal Avionics announces accomplishment of the first flight of MD Helicopters, Inc. (MDHI) MD 902 Explorer with the InSight Integrated Flight Deck. The successful testing was achieved at MDHI’s Mesa, Arizona (USA) facility in multiple phases and concluded on February 17th.
“This is an important step in the development of the new avionics suite for the MD 902,” said Grady Dees, Universal Avionics Director of Technical Sales. “Flight testing was conducted in multiple phases including ground run operations, ramp area hover/maneuvering, and airport area operations with speed and altitude buildups,” he added. “It concluded with an up and away flight to a test area away from the airport traffic area.”
“The MD test team was supported by an on-site team from Universal Avionics and our partner, Howell Instruments,” said Carl Schopfer, Chief Technology Officer for MD Helicopters. “All display and engine functions performed as expected. Flight testing will continue with the current configuration, and incremental software changes and additional systems integrations are planned prior to certification.”
MDHI is the launch OEM customer with the InSight Integrated Flight Deck for production and retrofit MD 902 Explorer helicopters. The flight deck features two or three large format high-resolution LCD displays with LED backlighting. A collective-mounted Cursor Slew Switch allows for a unique ‘Point & Click’ display control allowing pilots to keep “hands on, head up” during all phases of flight.
Throughout the 2016 Helicopter Association International (HAI) Heli-Expo, MDHI will have a MD 902 Explorer flight deck available in their Booth No. 8151. The flight deck includes a fully functional three-display InSight system with simulation. In addition to demonstrations, the flight deck will be used for evaluation of software releases during the ongoing flight test program, integration testing with other Line Replaceable Units (LRU), human factors evaluations, and training.
To learn more about the InSight Integrated Flight Deck, stop by Universal Avionics Booth No. 9333 or MDHI Booth No. 8151 during Heli-Expo. Exhibits are open March 1st – March 3rd.
About Universal Avionics
Universal Avionics is a leading manufacturer of innovative avionics systems offered as retrofit and forward-fit solutions for the largest diversification of aircraft types in the industry. Markets served include Helicopter, Business, Special Missions, Government / Military, Airline (regional / commercial) and OEM. To learn more about Universal Avionics, visit www.uasc.com/company/about.aspx.
- MD overhauls CoxHealth MD902
- Tanis receives STC for MD902 Preheat System
- Cornwall Air Ambulance flies 670 missions with two MD902s in 2017
- CoxHealth adds second MD Explorer
- Yorkshire Air Ambulance confirms sale of 2 MD902 Helicopters
- Hungarian Police introduce MD902 fleet bought pre-owned from Germany
- Busiest Day in the Year for Lincolnshire and Nottingham Air Ambulance
- Londons Air Ambulance wins Pride of Britain Award
- London Air Ambulance boss quits
- Cornwall Air Ambulance make milestone 26,000th rescue
- JSSI increases helicopter coverage
- Hungarian Police buys five pre-owned MD Explorers
- Londons Air Ambulance launches photo competition for 2017 calendar
- Essex & Herts Air Ambulance go 24×7 – but on four wheels
- Name for second MD Explorer announced by London Air Ambulance
- Cornwall Air Ambulance extends HQ with help of banking fines
- Essex & Herts Air Ambulance Trust to replace MD Explorer with AW169
- Cornwall Air Ambulance recruits eight doctors
- Yorkshire Air Ambulance orders second H145
- UK Police evolves as two more bases close as planned