Finmeccanica Helicopter Division has announced that it has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Era Group Inc, for the development of the Emergency Medical Service variant of the AgustaWestland AW609 TiltRotor. Era is a major customer of AgustaWestland helicopters, both as an operator and a lessor – recently including two AW189s.
The signing of the agreement is strong confirmation of the future plans for the world’s first commercial tiltrotor, after the fatal accident of a prototype in October 2015. One prototype is currently available, and two more are in various stages of construction – one in Italy and one at the company plant in Philadelphia.
A year ago, Bristow Helicopters was announced as fulfilling a similar role in the offshore support and SAR operational roles. Bristow reported at the time that their role incuded addressing concepts around operations, regulations, maintenance, configuration optimization, as well as identifying possible areas of enhancement or modifications.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- Manufacturing of Tiltrotor AW609 wind tunnel model via SLS and Windform
- Leonardo flies fourth AW609
- Leonardo to expand US training with AW169 and AW609 simulators
- Leonardo to produce AW609 tiltrotor Level D Full Flight Simulator
- Era to launch AW609 into US with two aircraft in 2020
- Canada certifies PT6C-67A engine for AW609
- Leonardo AW609 programme moves forward
- Leonardo rolls out AW609 in Philadelphia
- AW609 prototype moves from Arlington to Philadelphia to resume flight tests
- AW609 resumes test flights
- Third AW609 prototype starts ground runs
- Top 10 stories on HeliHub.com in 2015
- UAE signs for three AW609s in SAR role
- AgustaWestland AW609 test flight – fatal accident
- 30-Oct-15 N609AG AgustaWestland AW609 Vercelli, Italy (2F)
- Héroux-Devtek to provide AW609 landing gear systems
- AW609 claims 1000km record of 2 hours 18 minutes
- AgustaWestland brings AW609 to UK
- AgustaWestland launches AW609 interior design competition
- Bristow Leads in New TiltRotor Technology