Metro Aviation, a worldwide aircraft completion leader, recently delivered a one-of-a-kind helicopter to the University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science. The Airbus H125 (formerly the AS350) will serve as a unique observation platform to provide the scientific community with the capability to make unprecedented observations about the earth’s climate system and human health.
Metro’s team of engineers worked closely with Dean Roni Avissar to create an attachment to hold a system of sophisticated scientific sensors and a full inertial monitoring system, including differential GPS and accelerometers. The final sensor carrying rod measured just under 13 feet long and was mounted on the aircraft using a Meeker Aviation AirFilm Camera System and a vibration damping device.
“Adapting our scientific instrumentation on a helicopter in a way that eliminates aerodynamic and mechanical interferences with the measurements is a complex engineering and realization project,” said Avissar. “Metro Aviation has been a fantastic partner in this project, helping us address challenging issues while working with a difficult timetable. Their amazing technological capability and enthusiasm to help us obtain the best possible system has been tremendously invaluable to what is a very unique project.”
“The observations we can achieve with our new aircraft are crucial to improving our understanding of the climate system, especially in relation to weather forecasting and human health,” said Avissar.
- LA County Sheriff buys a AS350 crash-resistant fuel tank
- Oklahoma City Police buy two AS350 crash-resistant fuel tanks
- Oceania Aviation Prepare Right Hand H125/AS350 Cargo Pod
- Trump proposes import duties on Airbus helicopters built in EU
- STC Count for AEM’s LSS880 Loudspeaker System Continues to Increase
- Airbus and Swiss Rotor Solutions promoting use of Maximum Pilot View Kit
- StandardAero expands AS350/EC130 Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank into European Market
- LORD Corporation Announces New AS350 Tail Rotor Bearing
- 27-Feb-19 9M-AMI Airbus H125 Pathibhara, Nepal (7F)
- 18-Feb-19 N350ST Airbus AS350SD2 Glacier View, US-Alaska
- 17-Feb-19 ZK-HEX Airbus AS350 Nelson, New Zealand
- 29-Jan-19 N680DG Airbus AS350B2 Tampa, US-Florida
- 25-Jan-19 I-EDIC Airbus AS350B2 La Thuile, Italy (7F)
- 24-Jan-19 F-OFML Airbus H125 Grand-Brûlé, Reunion
- 14-Jan-19 PP-ECF Airbus AS350BA Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (1F)
- 11-Jan-19 N346AE Airbus AS350B2 Ponca City, US-Oklahoma
- DART gets TCCA, FAA and EASA approvals
- 03-Dec-18 HB-ZCM Airbus AS350 Arbedo-Castione, Switzerland
- StandardAero renews Air Methods AS350 and EC130 Components contract
- Simrik Air adds new H125 ‘9N-AKD’ chopper to its fleet