Metro Aviation, a worldwide aircraft completion leader, recently delivered a one-of-a-kind helicopter to the University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science. The Airbus H125 (formerly the AS350) will serve as a unique observation platform to provide the scientific community with the capability to make unprecedented observations about the earth’s climate system and human health.
Metro’s team of engineers worked closely with Dean Roni Avissar to create an attachment to hold a system of sophisticated scientific sensors and a full inertial monitoring system, including differential GPS and accelerometers. The final sensor carrying rod measured just under 13 feet long and was mounted on the aircraft using a Meeker Aviation AirFilm Camera System and a vibration damping device.
“Adapting our scientific instrumentation on a helicopter in a way that eliminates aerodynamic and mechanical interferences with the measurements is a complex engineering and realization project,” said Avissar. “Metro Aviation has been a fantastic partner in this project, helping us address challenging issues while working with a difficult timetable. Their amazing technological capability and enthusiasm to help us obtain the best possible system has been tremendously invaluable to what is a very unique project.”
“The observations we can achieve with our new aircraft are crucial to improving our understanding of the climate system, especially in relation to weather forecasting and human health,” said Avissar.
- SPAES modifies AS350 external mirror mounting
- Four new Airbus H125s for Norwegian operators in one week
- 12-Apr-20 N160CC Airbus H125 Tampa, US-Florida
- FAA approves Garmin GFC600H Helicopter Flight Control System in AS350
- Airbus adds more power and enhanced aerial work capabilities for the H125
- Air Zermatt picks VR technology H125 training solution
- StandardAero and Robertson Announce First Canadian Customer for AS350/EC130 Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank
- Ukraine Border Guards receive first two Airbus H125s
- 26-Dec-19 N985SA Airbus AS350B2 Kauai, US-Hawaii (7F)
- StandardAero and Thales Team on AS350 autopilot
- 09-Dec-19 ZK-HPB Airbus AS350B2 White Island, New Zealand
- AS350 heating and demisting system improvement
- All change at Soloy with STCs sold and now new owners too
- Airbus H125 helicopters enter Austrian Ministry of Interior service
- Canada approves AS350/EC130 Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank
- 23-Sep-19 VT-UTC Airbus H125 Kedarnath, India
- LA County Sheriff buys a AS350 crash-resistant fuel tank
- Oklahoma City Police buy two AS350 crash-resistant fuel tanks
- Oceania Aviation Prepare Right Hand H125/AS350 Cargo Pod
- Trump proposes import duties on Airbus helicopters built in EU