Four year old Ethan from Hornchurch is one of the lucky winners to name one of our helicopters. The winning name is ‘Rowan’ after his two year old sister.
On a visit to our helipad at The Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel last week, Ethan and his sister got to see the chosen name. The name has been placed on one of our helicopters, the G-EHMS registered MD902 Explorer.
Ethan’s chosen name, and winning reason, is as follows: Rowan (G-EHMS)
“Rowan is my sister’s name and the ancient meaning of Rowan is ‘little red one’ so seeing as the helicopters are red, it’s an ideal name. Plus my daddy raises money for London’s Air Ambulance.”
The competition formed part of our ‘Your London, Your Helicopter’ fundraising campaign last year to acquire and sustain a second helicopter and extend our summer daylight flying hours for five years. Following generous donations from the people and organisations of London, our second helicopter, G-LNDN, is now operational, arriving in time to cover G-EHMS when it went offline for annual maintenance in January.
Talking of his win and visit, Rowan said: “This has been fantastic! When I grow up I have decided I now want to be a helicopter pilot.”
The two best reasons were picked by a judging panel made up of doctors, pilots, paramedics and fire crew, who judged over 60 entries. Ethan is one of two winners. The other winner, Megan, was announced in February and her chosen name ‘Walter’ was placed on G-LNDN.
With two helicopters now operational and by extending our daylight flying hours, the annual cost of running the service has increased to £6 million. We need your support now more than ever to maintain the delivery of our advanced trauma care to London and people can help by donating, volunteering, taking part in an event or asking the organisation they work for to support us.
- MD overhauls CoxHealth MD902
- Tanis receives STC for MD902 Preheat System
- Cornwall Air Ambulance flies 670 missions with two MD902s in 2017
- CoxHealth adds second MD Explorer
- Yorkshire Air Ambulance confirms sale of 2 MD902 Helicopters
- Hungarian Police introduce MD902 fleet bought pre-owned from Germany
- Busiest Day in the Year for Lincolnshire and Nottingham Air Ambulance
- Londons Air Ambulance wins Pride of Britain Award
- London Air Ambulance boss quits
- Cornwall Air Ambulance make milestone 26,000th rescue
- JSSI increases helicopter coverage
- Hungarian Police buys five pre-owned MD Explorers
- Londons Air Ambulance launches photo competition for 2017 calendar
- Essex & Herts Air Ambulance go 24×7 – but on four wheels
- Cornwall Air Ambulance extends HQ with help of banking fines
- Essex & Herts Air Ambulance Trust to replace MD Explorer with AW169
- Universal Avionics flies MD902 with InSight Integrated Flight Deck
- Cornwall Air Ambulance recruits eight doctors
- Yorkshire Air Ambulance orders second H145
- UK Police evolves as two more bases close as planned