MD Helicopters, Inc. (MDHI) announced today the delivery of a new MD 500E to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR), Division of Enforcement. Announced in November 2015, the custom-built MD 500E was welcomed by Chief Pilot Tom Buker and Pilot Brad Maas on March 29 at MD Helicopters’ Mesa, Arizona headquarters. The new 500E joins Minnesota DNR’s 8-aircraft fleet (6 fixed wing, 2 additional rotorcraft) to perform a variety of missions in support of the DNR’s responsibility to manage natural lands, maintain healthy wildlife populations, and support law enforcement, firefighting and general forestry operations across the state’s more than 5.5 million acres of managed land.
This is the first MD helicopter to join the DNR since the Aviation Unit was born in 1947.
“The proven performance of this airframe, the small footprint, and its operational affordability really made this helicopter an easy choice for us,” said Tom Buker, Chief Pilot for the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Enforcement Division. “I expect this helicopter to be a great addition to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources’ fleet, and to play a critical role in helping us meet our ongoing commitments to conserve and manage the state’s natural resources.”
The right-hand command aircraft has a cockpit configuration that features the Garmin 500H EFIS flight display and Garmin GTN650H touchscreen GPS/Navigation and Communications system, and the AMS44 dual channel audio panel. Powered by the Rolls-Royce 250-C20B 420shp turbine engine, the Minnesota DNR’s MD 500E also features a Fargo 21-gallon auxiliary fuel tank, wire strike protection system, provisions for the Talon LC Keeperless hydraulic release cargo hook to support external loads up to 2,000 pounds, and Onboard load weigh system.
High-contrast main rotor blades, a Nightscanner® HID searchlight, and NVISB interior provide improved visibility when flying through areas of dense brush an in low-light scenarios.
“We are honored the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources chose to expand their fleet with the MD 500E,” commented Craig Kitchen, Chief Commercial Officer for MD Helicopters. “We welcome them to the MDHI family and look forward to a long and productive relationship.”
- MD Helicopters completes another MD500E conversion to MD530F
- Wilson Construction upgrades MD500E to MD530F standard
- MD offers Glass Cockpit Solutions for MD500E and MD520N
- 21-Feb-19 N506PH MD Helicopters MD500E Waipio, US-Hawaii
- Hamilton County Sheriff to upgrade MD500E to 530F standard
- Columbus Police to Upgrade 2 additional MD 500E Helicopters
- Fresno Sheriff orders MD530F as MD500E replacement
- Fresno County Sheriff to replace one 500E with a new aircraft
- New MD500E for Minnesota Dept of Natural Resources
- R66 production numbers speed past the H120 total
- Gwinnett County Police receive first 530F upgrade
- 27-Sep-15 SP-SOO MD Helicopters MD500E Burkatów, Poland
- MDHI Completes E-to-F conversions for Columbus Police
- Bushveld Game Capture buy second MD500E
- 03-Sep-15 N16056 MD Helicopters MD500E New Smyrna Beach, US-Florida
- 05-Aug-15 N43792 MD Helicopters 500E Whitefish, US-Montana
- MD Helicopters to showcase Houston Police MD500E at ALEA 2015
- Columbus PD to Convert 500Es to 530Fs
- 19-May-15 MSP-012 MD Helicopters MD500E Talamanca, Costa Rica
- Las Vegas Metro Police orders replacement MD530F