Tomorrow 10th May 2016 at 3pm local time, the University of New Mexico Hospital’s Lifeguard Air Emergency Services, will launch its new helicopter service with the dedication of its newest emergency medical transport aircraft – an AgustaWestland AW119Kx Koala helicopter.
The helicopter, owned by SevenBar Aviation, is equipped with medical-crisis treatment capabilities – blood reserves, state-of-the-art ventilator and newly added ultrasound – for severe trauma, cardiac and high-risk obstetrics patients. These include patients requiring cardiac catheterization and interventional radiology, stroke and burn victims and neonatal intensive care patients.
Lifeguard crews include specially trained nurses and paramedics who can begin advanced trauma treatment long before patients arrive to an emergency room or other facility. They also can access immediate medical direction online from UNM Hospital physicians. “Lifeguard is an extension of UNM Hospitals, so medical crews are trained to carry out advanced procedures using medical equipment not available from other flight programs,” says Margaret O’Donnell, director of Lifeguard Air Emergency Services.
Lifeguard and SevenBar Aviation have a long history, both with deep roots in New Mexico. SevenBar opened in 1947 on Albuquerque’s West Mesa, while Lifeguard was the first air medical flight program to begin transporting patients in New Mexico in 1983. They’ve since worked together to transport more than 43,000 UNMH patients over 18 million miles.
Previously, Lifeguard have only operated fixed wing – currently a Beech 90 King Air and a Beech 200 Super King Air.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- US Navy selects Leonardo AW119 for trainer – first order for 32 placed
- Brazil approves Astronautics EFI on AW109 and AW119
- FAA approves Astronautics EFI on Leonardo AW109 and AW119
- Israel orders seven Leonardo AW119Kx trainers to replace Bell 206s
- Nepalese Army Agusta AW139 makes maiden flight form Kathmandu
- Nepalese Army takes delivery of AW139
- Leonardo performs TH-119 avionics power
- Leonardo adds Authorised Service Centre in Chile
- FAA approves AMS lightweight medical interior for AW109 and AW119
- FAA approves AMS ambulance interior for AW119 and AW109
- Uralhelicom sees increase in new helicopter sales
- 09-Jun-17 VT-NRK AgustaWestland AW119 Badrinath, India (1F)
- Israel and Italy Discuss Training Helicopter Contract
- Leonardo strengthens strategic partnership with Shanghai Zenisun
- FAA approves Sky Connect Tracker III on AW109 and AW119
- Able Aerospace Services joins Leonardo Helicopters service network
- Leonardo adds AW169 and AW189 to Kaan Air distributor agreement in Turkey
- AgustaWestland sold $1.3 Billion worth of helicopters to Algeria
- Finmeccanica picks FreeFlight RA4500 radalt as AW119 standard
- Life Link III awarded re-accreditation by CAMTS