Police in the Ohio city of Toledo are considering getting out of air operations as the mandatory overhaul on their Robinson R44 registered N135WB approaches, and they are without the budget to achieve it. The city took delivery of their police-equipped R44 in 2001, with finance coming from a federal grant and department funds.
Local paper Toledo Blade quotes police officials saying “In September, 2005, when it was four years old, the helicopter received such a factory overhaul. The cost of $190,000 at that time was paid with a federal grant”. There is no explanation for why an overhaul was needed so soon after the helicopter was delivered, but perhaps they were flying a significant number of hours and reached the hour limit? Given they now fly it twice a week and have reached the time limit before the airframe hours limit, that seems unlikely.
The Toledo Blade notes that maintenance costs for the city have been minimal because LifeFlight, an air ambulance service operated by Mercy Health St. Vincent Medical Center and what was then the Medical College of Ohio Hospital, provided free maintenance and hangar space for the police helicopter. Evidently the approximate $300K overhaul cost has not been budgeted for.
Police spokesman Lieutenant Heffernan is reported as saying the R44 could be “sold or scrapped”, clearly showing he has no idea what he is talking about. In no way would a low hour R44 be scrapped – the city of Toledo could easily sell this on to someone who was willing to fund the overhaul and then re-sell it.
As the saying goes, “Failing to plan = Planning to fail”
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- Polish Air Force Adds Robinson R44s To Fleet
- SUU Aviation Program Adds a New Helicopter
- 30-Sep-18 N440SH Robinson R44 Westminster, US-Maryland
- Heliport of Russia delivers R44 with autopilot
- Universities Order More R44 Cadets
- Prabhu Helicopter adding two new Robinson R66 to its fleet
- Heli-Alps Purchases new Bell 505
- DynaVibe Track and Balance System gains Robinson acceptance
- Robinson Production Picked up Steam in 2017
- UND installs R44 Tanis Engine Preheat Kit
- Robinson Introduces Two Garmin G500H TXi Displays
- RAMM receives FAA approval for R44 Cabin Floor Trays
- Robinson receives R66 big sales boost
- Meeker-Airfilm receives certification for R44 and R66 nose mount
- 11-Nov-17 N744BS Robinson R44 Page, US-Arizona
- 06-Nov-17 N7085M Robinson R44 Inwood, US-Iowa
- 18-Aug-17 VH-LGN Robinson R44 Channel Point, Australia
- Belgian operator wins Dutch pipeline contract
- Mexico approves Apollo spray systems for R22 and R44
- Bird’s Eye View Helicopters Launches NE & NY Charter Services