U.S. Apache helicopters have entered the fight in Iraq against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, Defense Secretary Ash Carter told reporters. “Commanders have used the Apache capability that we positioned there and that [President Barack Obama] authorized them to use some months ago,” Carter said as he traveled to Brussels for meetings with his fellow NATO defense ministers. .
An ISIL target in Iraq was destroyed in an Apache strike, Carter said, noting this is the “first time that it’s been called into action, and effectively” in the ISIL fight.
U.S. and Iraqi commanders decided the aircraft “could be effective in helping those forces that are positioning themselves for the two-forked envelopment of Mosul,” Carter said, adding “That’s what it was used for — to help them along their way“.
The June 12 strike was in support of Iraqi security forces operating in the Tigris River Valley, a Defense Department spokesman said, adding that the strike was vetted and approved through the same process the coalition uses for all strikes.
“The Apache strike destroyed [an ISIL] vehicle-borne improvised explosive device near Qayyarah, Iraq,” the spokesman said.
- S.A.F.E. awarded US Army contract
- Boeing Awarded $8M Contract for AH-64 Support Services
- Boeing Awarded $39M Contract for AH-64 Support
- US Army selects GE’s T901 engine
- Poland Plans on Mi-24 Fleet Upgrade
- Triumph Awarded DLA Contract Extension
- Boeing Awarded $96M Contract for AH-64, A/MH-6M and H-47 Support
- Boeing and PGZ Partner for KRUK Attack Helicopter Program
- Netherlands signs combined Apache and Chinook sustainment contract with Boeing
- Morocco considering Apache purchase
- Thailand to acquire at least six new attack helicopters
- Lockheed awarded $14M contract for AH-64 Apache refurbishment
- Lockheed awarded $117M contract for AH-64 Modernized Laser Range Finder Designators
- Lockheed awarded $8M contract for Arrowhead upgrade kits for Egyptian Air Force AH-64 fleet
- Lockheed awarded $25M contract for Pilot Night Vision Sensor System kits for Apache
- PCX Aerostructures win $135M in US military contracts
- Robertson Fuel Systems awarded $176M contract for Procurement of Fuel Systems for Apache AH-64
- V-280 Valor undergoing ground trials at Amarillo
- PCX Aerostructures awarded $8M contract for right connecting links for the Apache AH-64 weapon system
- First-ever helicopter-based firing of High Energy Laser