Bristow Helicopters Limited today announced the appointment of Russell Torbet CBE to director UK SAR effective August 1, 2016, responsible for overseeing the operation of the civilian search and rescue (SAR) service on behalf of HM Coastguard. Torbet replaces Samantha Willenbacher who has been promoted to Bristow Group’s regional director for the Americas Region.
Torbet joined Bristow in 2013 as project manager UK SAR, following a distinguished 32-year career in the Royal Air Force attaining the rank of Air Commodore. He was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2007 New Year’s Honours List, holds a Master of Arts Degree in defense studies from King’s College London and is a Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute.
Bristow Helicopters Director of Europe Caspian Region Alan Corbett said: “Russ has demonstrated tremendous leadership as project manager for UK SAR. He has successfully delivered key milestones of the project on time and within budget, and worked effectively with the Department for Transport, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency and members of various government groups. Highly skilled and greatly experienced, Russ is respected by those that work with him.
“I would like to extend my best wishes to Sam for continued success in her new position at Bristow. Sam has played an invaluable role in the successful start of UK SAR, and she will be dearly missed by her colleagues in the UK.”
Bristow Helicopters Limited is operating the search and rescue helicopter service for the UK on behalf of HM Coastguard. The UK limited company was awarded the ten-year UK SAR contract by the Department for Transport in March 2013, representing a £1.9bn investment by the UK Government in the UK’s search and rescue helicopter service. By 2017 the service will be delivered from ten bases in all, strategically located close to areas of high SAR incident rates.
- Air BP rolls out Airfield Automation digital technology across São Paulo heliports
- Bell Announces Delivery of First Bell 505 to Horizon International Flight Academy
- Frost & Sullivan Presents the Evolving UAM Landscape Up to 2040
- Sikorsky Donates S-76® Airframe
- EASA certifies Safran Aneto-1K in Leonardo AW189K
- New helipad opens at Maidstone Hospital
- CEO of Chinook Helicopters in Abbotsford among nation’s Most Powerful Women
- Southwest Fuel Systems Announces New Triumph Hydromechanical Unit MRO Capability for RR M250 Engines
- Airbus delivers first SAR H145 for German Armed Forces ahead of schedule
- Permali to supply ballistic protection for Royal Navy Commando Merlin fleet
- New app launched for owners to track inspections, maintenance, billing etc
- RYAN AEROSPACE launches HELIMOD Mark III PLUS+ at I/ITSEC
- Elbit helps add Integrated Weapon System to MD530MG
- AMSTAT announces an upgraded Dashboard for AMSTAT Premier and Connect
- Air Evac Lifeteam closes two Arkansas bases
- Horizon purchased Entrol a Bell 505 FTD Level 2 simulator
- Reiser wins Australian Forces contract for MRH90 Maintenance Training Rig
- Major Trauma Centre first in UK to benefit from weather station
- Transformative Vertical Flight 2020 and eVTOL Symposium
- StandardAero and Thales Team on AS350 autopilot