Today marks the launch of a new state-of-the-art helipad, at the Northern General Hospital, Sheffield, with funding over £1 million from the HELP Appeal – the only charity in the country dedicated to delivering helicopter landing pads at all Major Trauma Centres and key A&E hospitals across England and Scotland.
The site is now fully operational and can accept major trauma patients from across the region, thanks also to the generosity of local people and businesses who have helped to raise the total cost of £2 million to build the facility.
The new site will save many lives, as patients will be air lifted directly outside and transferred into the Accident Emergency Department within minutes. This will save valuable time and save lives.
The site will serve approximately 1.8 million people across four counties, covering South Yorkshire, parts of the Humber, Derbyshire and the East Midlands.
Robert Bertram, Chief Executive of the HELP Appeal, said: “When a critical injury or accident takes place, every second is vital in getting the patient to the often life-saving treatment that they require. With this new onsite helipad right outside the ED in Sheffield, patients from across the South Yorkshire, Humber, Derbyshire and East Midland regions will receive the immediate and specialist attention required at those critical moments. Air ambulances will now have direct access to the hospital’s Emergency Department, significantly reducing transfer times, thus saving lives that can be lost through secondary road transfer.
“We provide the funding of helipads nationally because every second of every minute counts for serious accidents or medical emergencies. It is the kind donations and support received from the public, and local businesses and organisations that really help to make this a reality; without whom we could not support these hospitals and help to provide immediate attention that will save many lives.”
Since 2009 the HELP Appeal has identified and helped to fund state of the art new helipads or upgrade existing infrastructure at 14 MTCs and A&E hospitals across the UK. The HELP Appeal works directly with each hospital to drive the project, providing substantial grants assistance throughout the project including feasibility studies right through to launch.
- Nepal – Summit Helicopters rebrands back to original Fishtail Air name
- Airbus appoints Head of External Communications
- Garmin® unveils the fourth generation GPS/NAV/COMM
- Boeing delivered more new Apaches than 737s in 2019 Q4
- Farewell Message from Matt Zuccaro as he hands over HAI
- Manufacturing of Tiltrotor AW609 wind tunnel model via SLS and Windform
- Sikorsky, Rheinmetall Unveil Plans for German Heavy-Lift CH-53K
- Vertical Flight Society Announces Continued Strong Growth
- Era Group Names Senior Vice President of Business Development
- Schiebel Camcopter S-100 deployed for river pollution crisis in Malaysia
- 25,000 missions for Essex & Herts Air Ambulance
- Bristow used Chapter 11 process to drop Airbus H175 order
- US Navy awards $2.68 Billion contract for APKWS rockets
- THOMMEN delivers first multi function displays for the AW129
- Milestone Aviation Group names CEO
- Air Methods Promotes new CEO
- HH-60W enters chamber for defense systems testing
- Botswana police order three Enstrom 480B
- “Who Rates Best to Avoid Fatal Helicopter Accidents? Who Rates Worst?”
- S.A.F.E. will present a Maintenance Safety session at Heli Expo 2020