Today marks the launch of a new state-of-the-art helipad, at the Northern General Hospital, Sheffield, with funding over £1 million from the HELP Appeal – the only charity in the country dedicated to delivering helicopter landing pads at all Major Trauma Centres and key A&E hospitals across England and Scotland.
The site is now fully operational and can accept major trauma patients from across the region, thanks also to the generosity of local people and businesses who have helped to raise the total cost of £2 million to build the facility.
The new site will save many lives, as patients will be air lifted directly outside and transferred into the Accident Emergency Department within minutes. This will save valuable time and save lives.
The site will serve approximately 1.8 million people across four counties, covering South Yorkshire, parts of the Humber, Derbyshire and the East Midlands.
Robert Bertram, Chief Executive of the HELP Appeal, said: “When a critical injury or accident takes place, every second is vital in getting the patient to the often life-saving treatment that they require. With this new onsite helipad right outside the ED in Sheffield, patients from across the South Yorkshire, Humber, Derbyshire and East Midland regions will receive the immediate and specialist attention required at those critical moments. Air ambulances will now have direct access to the hospital’s Emergency Department, significantly reducing transfer times, thus saving lives that can be lost through secondary road transfer.
“We provide the funding of helipads nationally because every second of every minute counts for serious accidents or medical emergencies. It is the kind donations and support received from the public, and local businesses and organisations that really help to make this a reality; without whom we could not support these hospitals and help to provide immediate attention that will save many lives.”
Since 2009 the HELP Appeal has identified and helped to fund state of the art new helipads or upgrade existing infrastructure at 14 MTCs and A&E hospitals across the UK. The HELP Appeal works directly with each hospital to drive the project, providing substantial grants assistance throughout the project including feasibility studies right through to launch.
- The Official 2019 White House Christmas Ornament is a helicopter
- FAA releases list of OTC medications under Go and NoGo categories
- Helijet CEO receives HAC Lifetime Achievement award
- USHST Initiatives Aim to Cut Down Fatal Accidents
- Russian Helicopters and Pratt & Whitney Canada sign contract
- Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 8 Conducts Change of Command
- Raytheon debuts portable V-22 virtual reality trainer
- Honeywell collaborates with autonomous control innovator Daedalean
- Hungary takes delivery of its first two H145Ms
- Life Link III to help launch new research academy
- US Helicopter Occupant Safety – FAA online toolkit
- MDFR Orders AW139
- Airbus signs Global Support Contract for Tiger
- Boston MedFlight will now carry life-saving blood products
- LADWP Launches Human External Cargo Program
- Lockheed Martin makes Australia/NZ helicopter appointment
- Airbus improves service request facility in Keycopter portal
- MD Helicopters receive fourth Afghan MD530F order
- Helijet appoints Director of Maintenance
- 723 Squadron helicopters achieve 10,000 flying hours