The Bell 525 Relentless program sadly suffered a fatal accident on a test flight yesterday, with two fatalaties. The subject helicopter – the orange prototype seen in the image here – was on a flight out of Bell’s XworX facility near Arlington. The accident happened near the town of Italy in Ellis County and not far from Interstate 35E.
The helicopter completely burned out in the accident, and footage of the accident scene shows a very concentrated debris field, suggesting it came down vertically without much, if any, horizonal component. One report also states that part of the tail boom was found around 500 metres away. Both crew members were killed, and have yet to be named.
This will put the 525 Relentless program on hold for some months while a thorough investigation is carried out. There are two other prototypes flying at present, and two more planned to join the program.
Bell provided the following statement “On July 6, 2016, a Bell 525 was involved in an accident while conducting developmental flight test operations south of our Xworx facility in Arlington, Texas. Unfortunately, the accident resulted in a loss of two crew members. This is a devastating day for Bell Helicopter. We are deeply saddened by the loss of our teammates and have reached out to their families to offer our support. Bell Helicopter representatives are onsite to assess the situation and provide any assistance to local, state, and federal authorities. At this time we ask for your understanding as we work through all of the details. We will continue to provide updates as more information becomes available.”
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
The video below is a news report from YouTube filed by BDO News, and is their copyright.
- Bell 525 Relentless Completes Noise Testing Milestone
- Bell and Wintershall Dea Set Sights for Innovative North Sea Operations
- Bell Announces New Technological Enhancements
- LO Helicopter Committee Enthusiastic about Bell 525
- Bell 525 engine receives certification from FAA
- FAA certifies GE CT7-2F1 engine for Bell 525
- Donaldson Delivers Filtration Systems for Bell 525 Relentless
- Bell expands Flight Research Center
- Bell 525 completes hot weather testing
- 4th B525 flight test vehicle takes flight
- Bell to Widen Malaysian Market
- PPG awarded heated windshield contract for B525 Relentless
- Bell 525 certification heads for spring 2019
- Bell outlines Heli-Expo display
- Certification Deferral for Bell 525 Relentless
- Bell CEO Talks of Market Decline
- V-22 Workload for Bell, after layoffs
- Helitech 2016: ITT Shake Guru addresses Bell 525 and 505 flight
- Bell 525 VIP interior proposed by Mecaer
- Bell takes 429, 407GX and 525 mockup to Monaco Yacht Show