The controversial proposals for a dual-service heliport at Almondsbury have now received planning approval, according to the Gazette series. The site, close to the junction of the M4 and M5 motorways, will become the new base for both the National Police Air Service and the Great Western Air Ambulance in the Bristol area. Both currently operate from a site within the disused Filton Airfield – most famous for its development of the supersonic Concorde airliner – but redevelopment is pending and they needed to find a new base.
The plans had already been approved, but shortly after moved back into a judicial review early in 2016 after complaints were raised – this process allows for a further independent review, and is binding. A large number of local residents from two nearby villages had raised concerns on the basis of noise levels, operational hours (particularly nights) and an environmental impact on “green belt” area. Proponents of the site pointed to the fact that the site is located close to two motorways and another major road, and thus these factors were of much lower significance because the road network had already been in place many years.
The only aspect we have been unable to verify is what consideration was given to the level of distraction to road drivers would be on helicopter take-offs and landings. National Police Air Service and the Great Western Air Ambulance could be operational from the site within 12-15 months.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- UT Health East Texas welcomes third rebranded EC135
- EC135 Reduced mandatory maintenance and flight checks
- Devon Air Ambulance adds two Critical Care Cars
- Gama Aviation releases Flight Data Monitoring mod for Airbus H135 and H145
- Devon Air Ambulance reports 2019 statistics
- Royal Thai Air Force orders six Airbus H135 military trainers
- Polish Border Guard adds Airbus H135
- Gozo EMS operation upgrading to EC135
- DRF Luftrettung expands its H145 and H135 fleet
- NASA orders three Airbus H135s
- EASA approves STC for Trakka TLX searchlight on EC135
- Cayman Police replace damaged EC135 wtih second H145
- 723 Squadron helicopters achieve 10,000 flying hours
- Airbus launches retrofit solution for EC135 Electrical Master Boxes
- Metro first to STC H135 T3H Air Medical Interior
- Trump proposes import duties on Airbus helicopters built in EU
- Trakka Systems announces TLX Searchlight Order
- 24-Feb-19 9H-VIP Airbus EC135 Valetta, Malta
- Hungary buys nine pre-owned Airbus EC135s
- 13-Feb-19 D-HJMD Airbus EC135P2 Neustadt an der Orla, Germany