Leonardo-Finmeccanica announced that the first flying AW609 prototype has arrived in Philadelphia following a recent resumption of flight testing. Departing from Arlington, Texas, the aircraft’s flight plan included an overnight stop in Huntsville, Ala, before arriving in Philadelphia on Wednesday, August 10.
With industrialization underway, Leonardo-Finmeccanica has expanded the AW609 TiltRotor program to include the company’s Philadelphia facility. The involvement of the Philadelphia site in the AW609 program represents the anticipated progression towards assembly and certification with the FAA as the certification authority. Facilities in the Italy, UK and Poland continue to play critical production roles.
While this flying prototype will soon be relocated to Italy, flight testing activities in Philadelphia will continue upon the arrival of an AW609 recently assembled and ground tested in Italy. Another AW609 is being assembled in Philadelphia with plans to enter the test fleet in 2017.
Certification of the first commercial tiltrotor is expected in 2018, with deliveries to customers to follow.
- Leonardo to expand US training with AW169 and AW609 simulators
- Leonardo to produce AW609 tiltrotor Level D Full Flight Simulator
- Era to launch AW609 into US with two aircraft in 2020
- Canada certifies PT6C-67A engine for AW609
- Leonardo AW609 programme moves forward
- Leonardo rolls out AW609 in Philadelphia
- AW609 resumes test flights
- Third AW609 prototype starts ground runs
- Era Helicopters to help develop EMS role for AW609
- Top 10 stories on HeliHub.com in 2015
- UAE signs for three AW609s in SAR role
- AgustaWestland AW609 test flight – fatal accident
- 30-Oct-15 N609AG AgustaWestland AW609 Vercelli, Italy (2F)
- Héroux-Devtek to provide AW609 landing gear systems
- AW609 claims 1000km record of 2 hours 18 minutes
- AgustaWestland brings AW609 to UK
- AgustaWestland launches AW609 interior design competition
- Bristow Leads in New TiltRotor Technology
- Mayor Nutter welcomes AW609 production to Philadelphia
- HeliHub.com launches Facebook fan page for AgustaWestland AW609