Compared with the basic version of the Mi-8AMTSh, the new Arctic Mi-8AMTSh-VA has a number of design solutions related to its use in northern latitudes. Among its main design features is a unique technology of heating the oil system and transmission units. The system allows for a quick engine launch with autonomous and non-hangar helicopter storage at temperatures as low as -60°C.
“Technical solutions implemented in the Arctic version of Mi-8AMTSh-VA can be used not only in the interest of the Russian Defense Ministry but also for civilian projects. These helicopters might interest those who have businesses related to the Arctic region – such as oil and gas companies, exploration and transport enterprises, “- said Vladislav Savelyev, Director of Public Procurement and Military-Technical Cooperation at Russian Helicopters.
Based on the state contracts, the Russian Defense Ministry will receive a batch of Mi-8AMTSh-Vas already in 2016 and another batch is planned to be delivered in 2017. All phases of the State Defense Order, as before, will be completed by Russian Helicopters on time.
The helicopter is adapted for long distance flights. It is equipped with additional external fuel tanks that increase the flight range. To perform tasks in areas with no reference points and during the polar night the Mi-8AMTSh-VA has the latest flight navigation and radio communication equipment including digital autopilot and inertial navigation system that operates in the absence of satellite signals.
Safety is greatly enhanced by a digital autopilot, marine immersion suits for pilots, liferafts, airspace surveillance system that warns crews of approaching aircraft. The Mi-8AMTSh-VA is also equipped with additional thermal insulation and equipment for heating food for the crew members and personnel.
- 25-Nov-20 RF-38376 Mil Mi-8MTV1 Volgograd, Russia
- Georgia Border Police restore weekly Mi-8 flights to Tusheti
- Russian Helicopters launches Mi-8 test operation program in Indonesia
- 20-Aug-20 RA-????? Mil Mi-8 Khakassia, Russia
- Volga-Dnepr delivers two Mi-8s for fire-fighting in Malaysia
- Mil Moscow and UTair-Engineering sign agreement for upgrading Mi-8/17
- 09-Feb-19 ET2015 Mil Mi-17V-5 Abyei, South Sudan (3F)
- Ukrainian Air Forces Returns Rare Mi-8 into Service
- Russian Helicopters to certify a service center in Egypt in 2019
- Ukraine Tests New Helicopter Missile Oskol
- Russian Defence Ministry Looks towards Arctic Mi-38 Variant
- 27-May-17 Mil Mi-8 Maritime Territory, Russia
- UTair selects Skytrac fleet monitoring for 46 Mi-8s
- Russian Helicopters assists Mi-8 overhaul in Cuba
- Russian Helicopters to unveil Mi-8MTV-5 with advanced features
- Bird Aerosystems to demo Airborne Missile Protection System at Farnborough
- Russian Helicopters to repair Czech military Mi-8s
- Serial Production of the MI-171A2 Will Begin in 2017
- Hungary decides against buying 30 Russian helicopters
- Hungary interested in 30 helicopters to replace Mi-8 fleet