The first flight of Safran’s Ardiden 1U engine, powering the Indian LUH (Light Utility Helicopter), took place on 6 September in Bangalore. LUH is a new three-ton, single-engine, multipurpose rotorcraft designed by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. (HAL). The Ardiden 1U met all the performance targets set for this maiden flight.
“This flight marks a major milestone in our partnership with HAL”, commented Benoit Gadefait, Vice President Medium Helicopter Engines Program.
Specifically designed to power single-engine rotorcraft, the 1U is a derivative of the Ardiden 1H1 1,400 shp engine. Certified by EASA in 2009, the 1H1 was co-developed by Safran and HAL. It is now in production under the Shakti designation, and powers HAL’s Dhruv and Light Combat Helicopter and today, more than 250 units are in service. Safran Helicopter Engines provides engine solutions to all HAL’s new generation rotorcrafts.
Ardiden 1U compact architecture features a gas generator made up of two centrifugal compressor stages, coupled to a single-stage high-pressure turbine and a two-stage power turbine. Ardiden 1U certification is planned for 2018.
Once certified, LUH will benefit from robust support under a new joint-venture, formed recently by Safran and HAL, to provide MRO to engines installed on HAL-built helicopters.
- Metro Aviation appoints HR Director
- Becker delivers ADS-B transponders for German law enforcement AS332s
- FindHeli launches helicopter booking app
- Wiltshire Air Ambulance becomes fourth UK EMS operator with Air Operator Certificate
- US Army to buy 31 simulators from Ryan Aerospace
- GE partners with Hybrid Project for high-endurance VTOL UAV
- Lockheed Martin appoints leader of Future Vertical Lift campaign
- FAA issues new diabetic protocol for pilots
- Milestone CEO promoted to top GECAS role
- Kaman to Deliver K-MAX® to Helicopter Express In 2019
- Inmarsat launches broadband solution for helicopters
- Shetland Coastguard team win UK award
- HAI Announces Recipient of 2020 Salute to Excellence Golden Hour Award
- Safran Ardiden 1U engine obtains EASA certification
- Air Methods Celebrates the Accomplishments of Tulsa LifeFlight
- Alberta puts stop to firefighters rappelling from helicopters
- Port of Mangalore adds helipad for cruise ship services
- 10-Nov-19 N827MW Sikorsky S58 Lebanon, US-Indiana
- Rotorcorp President Appointed to US Trade Policy Advisory Committee
- AS350 heating and demisting system improvement