The first flight of Safran’s Ardiden 1U engine, powering the Indian LUH (Light Utility Helicopter), took place on 6 September in Bangalore. LUH is a new three-ton, single-engine, multipurpose rotorcraft designed by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. (HAL). The Ardiden 1U met all the performance targets set for this maiden flight.
“This flight marks a major milestone in our partnership with HAL”, commented Benoit Gadefait, Vice President Medium Helicopter Engines Program.
Specifically designed to power single-engine rotorcraft, the 1U is a derivative of the Ardiden 1H1 1,400 shp engine. Certified by EASA in 2009, the 1H1 was co-developed by Safran and HAL. It is now in production under the Shakti designation, and powers HAL’s Dhruv and Light Combat Helicopter and today, more than 250 units are in service. Safran Helicopter Engines provides engine solutions to all HAL’s new generation rotorcrafts.
Ardiden 1U compact architecture features a gas generator made up of two centrifugal compressor stages, coupled to a single-stage high-pressure turbine and a two-stage power turbine. Ardiden 1U certification is planned for 2018.
Once certified, LUH will benefit from robust support under a new joint-venture, formed recently by Safran and HAL, to provide MRO to engines installed on HAL-built helicopters.
- CHC and USC to Offer Aviation Safety Certificate
- Greece – MH-60R Multi-Mission Helicopters
- AE Industrial Partners to Acquire Columbia Helicopters
- Kaman Opens New Helicopter Customer Service Center
- Airbus develops its presence in Italy
- AAR awarded four-year MRO contract with Royal Netherlands Air Force
- TH-119 obtains FAA IFR certification
- Advanced Technology Systems Co. Awarded $18M Contract for Helicopter Maintenance
- FlightSafety appoints Executive Director of Operations
- Blue Hawaiian Helicopters Named ‘Best Tour Company’ in Hawaii
- Bell Awarded $28M Contract for UH-1N and TH-1H Support
- Essex & Herts Air Ambulance to receive £1.5M grant towards £4M hangar
- Aviation Blade Services Joins First Aviation Services Family
- Rusada unveils new Technical Publications module for ENVISION
- US accident data heading for worst year in over a decade
- Derriford Hospital helipad sees 1700 landings in four years
- Geisinger Life Flight Implement WinAir Digital Signatures
- The Air Ambulance Service scoops national charity award
- Leonardo Helicopters picks workwear supplier for Yeovil production plant
- HAI Hires New Director of Government Affairs