Safran Helicopter Engines has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Urban Aeronautics to study new market opportunities and address power system solutions to support the development of an entirely new platform family of internal rotor aircraft. The Cormorant (formerly AirMule) UAV demonstrator is already flying powered by an Arriel 1D driving two ducted-fans.
Under the agreement, Safran and Urban Aeronautics intend to pursue their cooperation through pre-series and production phases of full scale new vertical-lift manned or unmanned vehicles, especially those intended for use in urban environments in the air-taxi, medevac and transport roles.
Safran will also bring its technical and industrial expertise to bear in the development of the Cormorant. It made its maiden flight in 2010. Safran and Urban Aeronautics will also discuss new developments involving more powerful engines.
Maxime Faribault, Executive Vice-President OEM Sales, said: “We value the trust that Urban Aeronautics has placed in us. Together we will study new directions for the vertical-lift market and investigate the benefits and the feasibility of new aircraft concepts, particularly those using distributed propulsion.”
- Helity appointed AW139 Maintenance Centre by Leonardo
- Bell Appoints China State Grid GA as a Bell429 Authorized Maintenance Center
- Arrius engines mark 10 million flight hours
- Celebrating 40 Years of Bell Operating in China
- Safran and AECC introduce the WZ16
- LZControl supercharges its system with new upgrades
- Euramec signs non-exclusive distribution agreement with GeoSim Technologies
- Russia’s state Medevac programme on life-support
- Eemshaven Heliport receives first flight
- MINT Turbines Names New General Manager
- Norwegian Government commits to rescue helicopter base at Tromso by 2022
- CIA Museum adds Mil MI-17 helicopter
- New hangar for Tuscaloosa Police
- REACH 6 celebrates 15 years of service
- UK to advise Kazakhstan on aviation regulation
- SEI Industries is a Finalist for the 2019 BC Export Awards
- UAVOS Unmanned Helicopter Robinson for Precision Farming
- CHI St. Joseph Health and PHI upgrade aircraft
- Tender issued for German wind farm rescue helicopter
- Queenstown helicopter company liquidated