Safran Helicopter Engines has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Urban Aeronautics to study new market opportunities and address power system solutions to support the development of an entirely new platform family of internal rotor aircraft. The Cormorant (formerly AirMule) UAV demonstrator is already flying powered by an Arriel 1D driving two ducted-fans.
Under the agreement, Safran and Urban Aeronautics intend to pursue their cooperation through pre-series and production phases of full scale new vertical-lift manned or unmanned vehicles, especially those intended for use in urban environments in the air-taxi, medevac and transport roles.
Safran will also bring its technical and industrial expertise to bear in the development of the Cormorant. It made its maiden flight in 2010. Safran and Urban Aeronautics will also discuss new developments involving more powerful engines.
Maxime Faribault, Executive Vice-President OEM Sales, said: “We value the trust that Urban Aeronautics has placed in us. Together we will study new directions for the vertical-lift market and investigate the benefits and the feasibility of new aircraft concepts, particularly those using distributed propulsion.”
- President of Uruguay welcomes first SAR AB412
- Airbus to keep NASA’s helicopters flying for up to 10 years
- Viterra and STARS to launch calendar campaign fundraiser
- UW Health Med Flight’s first all-woman crew makes history
- Swire Oilfield Services acquires Helifuel
- Aviation Jobs – statistical comparison between 2019 and 2020
- BBGA calls Brexit webinar
- Devon Air Ambulance celebates exemplary service
- Polar Airlines becomes first service centre for Ansat helicopters
- Kazan Ansat approved for all documentation in electronic form
- SH09 prototype returns home with improved aerodynamics
- Bell Delivers Montenegro Air Force’s First Bell 505
- First Bell Authorized Maintenance Center Added in Denmark
- New equipment options revealed for Ansat
- Safran Helicopter Engines appoints Executive Vice-President, Support and Services
- CGAS Humboldt Bat orders HH-65 maintenance platforms
- Bell Adds Its First European Authorized Maintenance Center to its Support Network
- 15-Sep-20 N489DM Bell 407 Fort Worth, US-Texas
- Christoph 54 completes 50th Operation
- Gulf Helicopters announces the success in qualifying to the standards of ISO 45001:2018 accreditation