Safran Helicopter Engines has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Urban Aeronautics to study new market opportunities and address power system solutions to support the development of an entirely new platform family of internal rotor aircraft. The Cormorant (formerly AirMule) UAV demonstrator is already flying powered by an Arriel 1D driving two ducted-fans.
Under the agreement, Safran and Urban Aeronautics intend to pursue their cooperation through pre-series and production phases of full scale new vertical-lift manned or unmanned vehicles, especially those intended for use in urban environments in the air-taxi, medevac and transport roles.
Safran will also bring its technical and industrial expertise to bear in the development of the Cormorant. It made its maiden flight in 2010. Safran and Urban Aeronautics will also discuss new developments involving more powerful engines.
Maxime Faribault, Executive Vice-President OEM Sales, said: “We value the trust that Urban Aeronautics has placed in us. Together we will study new directions for the vertical-lift market and investigate the benefits and the feasibility of new aircraft concepts, particularly those using distributed propulsion.”
- Airbus Helicopters launches RTEX tool to monitor Service Bulletins
- COVID-19 – Omni adapts four aircraft to transport suspected cases of COVID-19
- FAA advice on expiring air medical certificates was released prematurely and is invalid
- COVID-19 – London Heliport announces temporary closure
- Lockheed Martin’s FARA Enters Prototype Phase
- COVID-19 – 3 British Army AW159 Wildcats have been deployed to support UK with COVID-19
- HAI Urges Caution Re FAA Announcement for Airmen Medical Certificates
- Crash-resistant Fuel System Developed for Russian Ka-226T
- NCHCF continues to raise funds for heliport at Melfort Hospital
- DRF Luftrettung starts using new isolation stretchers
- COVID-19 – Leonardoto provide resources and people in support of COVID-19
- CHC calls for papers for Safety & Quality Summit
- SAFE to distribute M2 ERFS Tank Shoring System for CH-47
- COVID-19 – HAI applauds Congressional Action on pandemic relief
- General Electric awarded $11M extra for Presidential V-92 contract
- COVID19 – Bristow repurposes three ex-Coast Guard S92s for Corona virus transport
- COVID-19 – EBAA partners with Osprey Flight Solutions
- Bell awarded $815M contract for UH-1Y and AH-1Z repairs and upgrades
- COVID-19 – Aerial Firefighters adjust to the pandemic
- UT Health East Texas welcomes third rebranded EC135