Wärtsilä announces the launch of its helicopter guidance software technology for marine market applications. Originally developed for military applications, the technology is based on the company’s well known Nacos Platinum navigation system. Following increasing demand from the market, Helicopter Guidance has been further developed to suit marine applications, notably in the mega yacht and cruise ship segments.
This ‘plug-in’ tool adds a graphic overlay on electronic chart display & information systems (ECDIS) and radar, and shows at a glance whether or not the helicopter is making a correct approach along the right flight path. The “Heli Guidance” feature can be operated and activated manually. To automate this tool, an optional direct connection to an onboard Helicopter Visual Landing Aid (HVLA) system can be provided. For the tracking of fast objects, this can be used in combination with Wärtsilä’s temporarily connectible High Speed Radar (HSC) function.
“Mega yachts often feature a helicopter landing area, which inevitably carries an increased risk of accidents, and which require the full attention of the captain and crew. Our novel Helicopter guidance tool is designed to enhance the safety of shipboard helicopter operations, and is an important addition to our technically advanced solutions vessel navigational aids,” says Stephan Kuhn, Vice President, Electrical & Automation, Wärtsilä Marine Solutions.
The Wärtsilä Nacos Platinum solution integrates all navigation and automation system controls into a single system that enables the vessel to be navigated, controlled, and monitored from various onboard positions. The truly multi-functional workstations provide combined displays of radar, ECDIS (Electronic Chart Display and Information System) and conning information, as well as automatic steering and voyage planning operations.
- Canada – Nipawin Council hires heliport designer
- Armenian Ministry of Emergency Situations to add firefighting helicopter
- Two helipads decommissioned in downtown San Diego
- Metro Aviation welcomes Duke Life Flight
- Leonardo celebrates the tenth anniversary of AW159 Wildcat’s first flight
- VSR700 prototype performs first flight
- EMSA extends Schiebel Camcopter contract in Croatia
- Sikorsky Innovations Announces 9th Entrepreneurial Challenge Awardees
- Bell joins army partnership for youth success program
- Metro Aviation provides flight demos of the EC145e at AMTC 2019
- HAI Names Recipient of Salute to Excellence Humanitarian Service Award
- The Helicopter Company of Saudi Arabia takes delivery of its first AW139
- HAI Announces 2020 Recipient of Salute to Excellence Safety Award
- Safran makes management appointments
- Metro seeks STC for Stryker configurations in EC145
- FAA creates ADS-B privacy opt-out
- Luxaviation Helicopters at FLIBS for first time
- Launch of HeliSpeed Academy
- Hampshire and IOW Air Ambulance Take Flight for 9,000th Mission
- HAI Announces Recipient of 2020 Salute to Excellence Lifetime Achievement Award