This month (September) HRH The Duke of York officially launched the opening of a new HELP Appeal funded state-of-the-art helipad, at the Northern General Hospital, Sheffield.
The £2 million site is now fully operational and can accept major trauma patients from across the region, with funding over £1 million from the HELP Appeal – the only charity in the country dedicated to delivering helicopter landing pads at all Major Trauma Centres and key A&E hospitals across England and Scotland.
The new site will save many lives, as patients will be air lifted directly outside and transferred into the Accident Emergency Department within minutes. This will save valuable time and save lives.
The site will serve approximately 1.8 million people across four counties, covering South Yorkshire, parts of the Humber, Derbyshire and the East Midlands. It is this funding and the generosity of local people and businesses who have helped to raise the total cost to build the life-saving facility.
Since it opened four months ago, the helipad has already provided lifesaving treatment to 45 patients from across South Yorkshire who were brought into the Major Trauma centre at the Northern General Hospital. The Major Trauma Centre is one of only 26 specialist centres in the country and treats around 1200 patients each year, 500 of which have life-threatening injuries.
Robert Bertram, Chief Executive of the HELP Appeal, said: “When a critical injury or accident takes place, every second is vital in getting the patient to the often life-saving treatment that they require. With this new onsite helipad right outside the ED in Sheffield, patients from across the South Yorkshire, Humber, Derbyshire and East Midland regions will receive the immediate and specialist attention required at those critical moments. Air ambulances will now have direct access to the hospital’s Emergency Department, significantly reducing transfer times, thus saving lives that can be lost through secondary road transfer.
“We provide the funding of helipads nationally because every second of every minute counts for serious accidents or medical emergencies. It is the kind donations and support received from the public, and local businesses and organisations that really help to make this a reality; without whom we could not support these hospitals and help to provide immediate attention that will save many lives.”
- Indonesian Army selects 9 Bell 412EPI
- NHV expands executive team
- HAL LCH Demonstrates Unique Capability
- Sikorsky Awarded $7M Contract for CH-53K Systems Modifications
- Adar Poonawalla takes delivery of India’s first ACH145
- Helijet supports Power To Be with new partnership
- HeliOffshore Appoints New Chief Operating Officer
- Unique Aerospace Physiology and Human Performance Update Course to be provided at Heli-Expo 2019
- Triumph Awarded DLA Contract Extension
- Sikorsky grants Make-A-Wish® Foundation with a S-76 ride
- 7 trainee paramedics start at HIOW Air Ambulance
- Bristow FY2019 Q3 earnings release and concall scheduled
- Donate Items to the HFI Silent Auction
- USMC receives last UH-1Y Venom
- NEMSPA/USHST Joint IFR Helicopter Pilot Survey
- NHRMC Stations AirLink Aircraft at Medical Center
- CHC wins planning approval for Aberdeen facility upgrade
- Profile – Kathryn Purwin of Helinet
- DRF Luftrettung opens 10th night flight station
- Austin Peay introduces first helicopter in its rotor-wing fleet