The “Wildcards” of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 23 made history Sept. 14 when they used a MQ-8B unmanned air system as a laser designator platform for a MH-60S Seahawk helicopter to fire a AGM-114N Hellfire missile.
For the mission, the MH-60S launched from Naval Air Station (NAS) North Island, while the Northrup Grumman MQ-8B Fire Scout was operated from NAS Point Mugu. The shot took place on a designated live-fire range off the coast of NAS Point Mugu against a dynamic target, which moved at approximately 10-15 knots. The Fire Scout detected target location and was transmitted to the MH-60S for targeting. Once all target requirements were met, the Fire Scout lased the target while the MH-60S moved forward and into position for the running missile shot.
“It was awesome to see the MQ-8B and MH-60S tactics and procedures being used in conjunction with each other for the first time,” said Lt. Cdr. Thanh Nguyen, one of the MH-60S pilots who participated in the exercise. “We were able to validate the Fire Scout’s ability to find and designate a target, which greatly expands the lethal range of the MH-60S while keeping air crews out of harm’s way.”
The successful Hellfire shot marks a significant milestone in the integration between Navy-manned helicopters and unmanned assets.
“The hunter-killer team of Fire Scout and MH-60S is now a proven combination that will be a game-changer for future deployments,” said Nguyen.
HSC-23 is a Coronado-based expeditionary squadron under Commander, Helicopter Sea Combat Wing Pacific. It is the first squadron to deploy a MH-60S and MQ-8B composite detachment aboard Independence class littoral combat ship USS Coronado (LCS 4).
- Jolly Green II HH-60W begins live-fire testing
- Hill Helicopters unveils interior concept for its new HX50
- Celebrate Girls in Aviation Day – September 26, 2020
- US Marine Corps use 3D printing for new MH-60S comms system
- First ACH145 helicopter delivered to Russia
- Bell Announces Collaboration with Elektroniksystem- und Logistik-GmbH (ESG)
- Rostec starts assembling parts for the first Russian offshore Mi-171A3
- New UK heliport in Plymouth wins planning approval
- Bell to Attend NATO Days 2020
- Airbus Helicopters and HTM-Helicopters sign contract
- Essex & Herts Air Ambulance CEO shortlisted for national award
- LCI and Sumitomo to establish JV helicopter leasing business
- COVID-19 forces Maverick Helicopters to lay off 75
- Bell 505 Jet Ranger X Records 50,000 Global Fleet Flight Hours
- Air BP delivers 210 tonnes of sustainable aviation fuel to Stockholm Arlanda Airport
- Virtual AMTC Announces Keynote Speakers
- Specialized Navy Sailors Deployed with Marine Squadron ahead of V-22 Transition
- Thales H160 Level D sim approved
- Boeing, Honeywell and Rolls-partner on German CH-47 bid
- Wyoming Army National Guard activated to assist with California wildfires