Western Australia’s RAC Rescue notched up its 5,000th mission this week, with the service playing a pivotal role over the past 13 years to provide life-saving medical treatment.
Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) Assistant Commissioner Gary Gifford said one of the most common tasks RAC Rescue has attended over the years is road crashes, which accounts for two thirds of all call-outs.
“This year, 63 percent of fatal road crashes have sadly occurred on country roads, highlighting how important it is for country areas to be able to access high level medical care as quickly as possible,” Assistant Commissioner Gifford said.
“By transporting patients by air, the RAC Rescue saves precious time that could be the difference between life and death following an accident.”
RAC General Manager Corporate Affairs Will Golsby said RAC is committed to saving lives and reducing serious injuries on our roads.
“The impact of road trauma is devastating, and RAC is proud to sponsor both RAC Rescue helicopters, having sponsored the Perth-based service since its inception in 2003,” Mr Golsby said.
The RAC Rescue covers 95 percent of the State’s population and responds around the clock to a range of incidents including road crashes, farming accidents, land searches, marine rescues, and time-critical hospital patient transfers.
The RAC Rescue is manned by a critical care paramedic, rescue crewman and an experienced pilot.
Based in Perth and Bunbury, the rescue helicopters are managed by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services, with the Bunbury helicopter funded by Royalties for Regions.
- V-22 Osprey Marks Three Decades of Transforming Military Aviation
- FlightSafety and Metro Aviation celebrate five years of Louisiana Level D simulators
- HELP Appeal donation upgrades Royal Preston Hospital helipad
- Babcock Flight Training Adelaide Graduate
- GVH Aerospace helps Swiss Rotor Solutions
- DAC renews distribution with Esterline
- Genesys Aerosystems to certify popular HeliSAS Stability Augmentation System
- PDG partners with Woodgate Aviation to support 148th British Open Golf
- Building Work Begins on new Penzance Heliport
- Two Nepalese operators to add Airbus H125 in coming weeks
- Senior Director of Product Development named at EastWest Industries
- Airbus bids for Australian Army tender with H145M
- HSM-70 celebrates 10 years of excellence
- Essex & Herts Air Ambulance to carry blood supplies
- L3 WESCAM Launches In-Flight Training Course for MX™-Series EO/IR Turrets
- Trakka Systems announces TLX Searchlight Order
- Canadian Coast Guard picks Dart wearplates for Bell 429 fleet
- AIM raises awareness for careers in Aviation Maintenance
- PAL-V unveils the distinctive features of the PAL-V Liberty Pioneer
- Caverton Helicopters picks Thales for AW139 simulator