Western Australia’s RAC Rescue notched up its 5,000th mission this week, with the service playing a pivotal role over the past 13 years to provide life-saving medical treatment.
Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) Assistant Commissioner Gary Gifford said one of the most common tasks RAC Rescue has attended over the years is road crashes, which accounts for two thirds of all call-outs.
“This year, 63 percent of fatal road crashes have sadly occurred on country roads, highlighting how important it is for country areas to be able to access high level medical care as quickly as possible,” Assistant Commissioner Gifford said.
“By transporting patients by air, the RAC Rescue saves precious time that could be the difference between life and death following an accident.”
RAC General Manager Corporate Affairs Will Golsby said RAC is committed to saving lives and reducing serious injuries on our roads.
“The impact of road trauma is devastating, and RAC is proud to sponsor both RAC Rescue helicopters, having sponsored the Perth-based service since its inception in 2003,” Mr Golsby said.
The RAC Rescue covers 95 percent of the State’s population and responds around the clock to a range of incidents including road crashes, farming accidents, land searches, marine rescues, and time-critical hospital patient transfers.
The RAC Rescue is manned by a critical care paramedic, rescue crewman and an experienced pilot.
Based in Perth and Bunbury, the rescue helicopters are managed by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services, with the Bunbury helicopter funded by Royalties for Regions.
- MoCTCA directs CAAN to ban helicopter operations at ABC area
- Bell Boeing Joint Project Awarded $18M Contract for V-22 Analysis
- New contract between NHIndustries and the NATO Agency NAHEMA
- Metro unveils H125 configuration for Argentine state of Mendoza
- LUH Clears 6 KMs Altitude Flight
- Heli-One and China Southern Airlines Sign Letter of Intent
- Widow sues Sikorsky over 2017 Black Hawk accident
- Rotorua Residents Create New Trust
- Sikorsky Awarded $38M Contract for CH-53K Parts Database
- Lithuanian Air Force renews AS365N3+ HCare Infinite contract
- Helicopter tactics high on EDA agenda with symposium in Austria and course in Sweden
- Bell delivers two 429s to EDIC Horizon International Flight Academy
- DSI and Honeywell sign HUMS licensing agreement
- Malaysian Fire Dept starts AW189 operations
- Falcon Aviation Services starts AW169 contract in Kuwait
- Russian Helicopters’ Service Center opens in Peru
- Castle Air adds AW139 to London Heli Shuttle
- Simplex Announces New STC
- Armenian Helicopters LLC to bring in another passenger helicopter
- Asian Sky Group appoints Rotary Program Sales Manager