Western Australia’s RAC Rescue notched up its 5,000th mission this week, with the service playing a pivotal role over the past 13 years to provide life-saving medical treatment.
Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) Assistant Commissioner Gary Gifford said one of the most common tasks RAC Rescue has attended over the years is road crashes, which accounts for two thirds of all call-outs.
“This year, 63 percent of fatal road crashes have sadly occurred on country roads, highlighting how important it is for country areas to be able to access high level medical care as quickly as possible,” Assistant Commissioner Gifford said.
“By transporting patients by air, the RAC Rescue saves precious time that could be the difference between life and death following an accident.”
RAC General Manager Corporate Affairs Will Golsby said RAC is committed to saving lives and reducing serious injuries on our roads.
“The impact of road trauma is devastating, and RAC is proud to sponsor both RAC Rescue helicopters, having sponsored the Perth-based service since its inception in 2003,” Mr Golsby said.
The RAC Rescue covers 95 percent of the State’s population and responds around the clock to a range of incidents including road crashes, farming accidents, land searches, marine rescues, and time-critical hospital patient transfers.
The RAC Rescue is manned by a critical care paramedic, rescue crewman and an experienced pilot.
Based in Perth and Bunbury, the rescue helicopters are managed by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services, with the Bunbury helicopter funded by Royalties for Regions.
- Apollo Air Services to operate first AW109 Trekker in UK
- Bermuda Aircraft Registry Hits Historic Milestone
- Air Methods opens Mercy Air 66 base at Barstow
- Heli-One wins German AS332L1 and EC215 upgrade contract
- Volocopter and Amazon join UK CAA Innovation Sandbox project
- Lilium Reveals New Air Taxi Celebrates Maiden Flight
- CareFlite celebrates 40 Year Anniversary
- Vertical Flight Society Recognizes Sikorsky For Technological Innovations
- Nepalese operators facing pilot shortage
- Sierra Nevada Awarded $75M Contract for HH-60G DVES Installations
- Sloane extend Leonardo distributorship and sign for two more AW109s
- FlightSafety announces new President & CEO
- TracPlus and IQonboard collaborate
- Northern Escape Heli Skiing Announces investment
- MALS-39 Marine recognized for contributions to maintenance readiness
- 22 countries sign new European Defence Agency cross-border agreement
- STARS announces first all-female lineup for 2019 Rescue in the Rockies
- FAA Announces Safety Rating for Costa Rica
- Speedwings expands helicopter ops with BHS and DC Aviation
- Latest ACH160 order underlines market confidence in new model