The Nanaimo Port Authority (NPA) and Pacific Heliport Services Ltd. (PHS) are pleased to announce that an upgrade project to expand the existing heliport located on NPA’s Cruise Centre lands has received final certification and approval for flight operations effective November 6, 2016.
As the licenced manager of the private Nanaimo Heliport facility, PHS currently accommodates Helijet’s scheduled helicopter service to Vancouver and Victoria. It will now also be able to accommodate British Columbia’s Air Ambulance helicopters during their 7/24 emergency air service requirements. Two additional helicopter landing apron sites were allocated on the heliport site, allowing two helicopters to be positioned for flight operations simultaneously during day and night operations, seven days a week.
PHS President and CEO Danny Sitnam commented, “we are very pleased that we were able to work with our landlord, the Nanaimo Port Authority, along with the Nanaimo Regional General Hospital, in establishing this additional heliport capacity that will support emergency patient air transfers to and from the hospital’s proximity.”
The NPA has supported developing transportation options for Nanaimo and surrounding mid-island areas.
Bernie Dumas, President and CEO for the NPA commented, “we have strongly supported the opportunity to offer this dedicated helicopter landing area and with the recent expansion of the heliport, it now allows emergency first responders to meet the community’s’ needs, all while making this area a truly multi-modal transportation hub.”
The Nanaimo Regional General Hospital’s heliport is temporarily closed due to surrounding construction plans currently underway. The PHS Heliport is certified and recognized by Transport Canada, meeting the latest in safety and operating helidrome standards required.
- Russian Helicopters plans on ditching western-built engines
- New Wheeler Army Airfield Airspace Design
- EFW Awarded $18M Contract for Procurement of 13 V-22 Processors
- Sikorsky Awarded $23M Contract for UH-60 Overhaul
- Airbus awarded Australia’s ARH Tiger support contract extension
- VIH Aerospace Achieves AS9100D Certification
- Heli-One and Caverton Sign Support Agreement
- FlightSafety integrates its Mixed Reality and VITAL 1100 Visual Systems
- H135 final assembly line starts operations
- P&WC adds Designated Maintenance Facility in China for AW139 operators
- AVX Aircraft and L3 Technologies Unveil Leap-Ahead Design
- 360-Degree Pilot Visual System Completes First Flight
- MD Helicopters enhances MD969
- Pilot shortage at Nassau County Police unit
- Air Methods closes Rainbow City base in Alabama
- Honeywell T55 Engine Powers New Future Vertical Lift Aircraft
- DRF makes successful start at new Bautzen base
- Universal Avionics Receives STC for InSight™ Touchscreen Control
- US State Dept sells little-used S61T fleet
- DRF Luftrettung buys Northern HeliCopter GmbH