The Nanaimo Port Authority (NPA) and Pacific Heliport Services Ltd. (PHS) are pleased to announce that an upgrade project to expand the existing heliport located on NPA’s Cruise Centre lands has received final certification and approval for flight operations effective November 6, 2016.
As the licenced manager of the private Nanaimo Heliport facility, PHS currently accommodates Helijet’s scheduled helicopter service to Vancouver and Victoria. It will now also be able to accommodate British Columbia’s Air Ambulance helicopters during their 7/24 emergency air service requirements. Two additional helicopter landing apron sites were allocated on the heliport site, allowing two helicopters to be positioned for flight operations simultaneously during day and night operations, seven days a week.
PHS President and CEO Danny Sitnam commented, “we are very pleased that we were able to work with our landlord, the Nanaimo Port Authority, along with the Nanaimo Regional General Hospital, in establishing this additional heliport capacity that will support emergency patient air transfers to and from the hospital’s proximity.”
The NPA has supported developing transportation options for Nanaimo and surrounding mid-island areas.
Bernie Dumas, President and CEO for the NPA commented, “we have strongly supported the opportunity to offer this dedicated helicopter landing area and with the recent expansion of the heliport, it now allows emergency first responders to meet the community’s’ needs, all while making this area a truly multi-modal transportation hub.”
The Nanaimo Regional General Hospital’s heliport is temporarily closed due to surrounding construction plans currently underway. The PHS Heliport is certified and recognized by Transport Canada, meeting the latest in safety and operating helidrome standards required.
- Canada – Nipawin Council hires heliport designer
- Armenian Ministry of Emergency Situations to add firefighting helicopter
- Two helipads decommissioned in downtown San Diego
- Metro Aviation welcomes Duke Life Flight
- Leonardo celebrates the tenth anniversary of AW159 Wildcat’s first flight
- VSR700 prototype performs first flight
- EMSA extends Schiebel Camcopter contract in Croatia
- Sikorsky Innovations Announces 9th Entrepreneurial Challenge Awardees
- Bell joins army partnership for youth success program
- Metro Aviation provides flight demos of the EC145e at AMTC 2019
- HAI Names Recipient of Salute to Excellence Humanitarian Service Award
- The Helicopter Company of Saudi Arabia takes delivery of its first AW139
- HAI Announces 2020 Recipient of Salute to Excellence Safety Award
- Safran makes management appointments
- Metro seeks STC for Stryker configurations in EC145
- FAA creates ADS-B privacy opt-out
- Luxaviation Helicopters at FLIBS for first time
- Launch of HeliSpeed Academy
- Hampshire and IOW Air Ambulance Take Flight for 9,000th Mission
- HAI Announces Recipient of 2020 Salute to Excellence Lifetime Achievement Award