First Minister, the Rt. Hon. Arlene Foster and deputy First Minister, Martin McGuinness have announced that the Maze Long Kesh site will be made available to host the new air ambulance service for Northern Ireland.
The agreement of an air ambulance operational base, taking account of medical requirements and cost, will be a crucial step towards the establishment of the service.
Making the announcement the Ministers said: “We are delighted to make land at Maze Long Kesh available to bring this goal a step closer to reality.
“This is another example of the Executive working together to deliver results that make a real difference.
“We look forward to an accessible air ambulance service becoming operational as soon as possible to help save lives when time is critical.
“Executive Ministers stand ready to do all they can to help to make that happen.
“The service will play an important role as we re-shape our health service in the years ahead and will help ensure that we provide the best possible emergency care for people when speed is of the essence.”
The First Minister and deputy First Minister also paid tribute to all those who have campaigned, worked, raised funds and donated money for the air ambulance.
“We think particularly today of the late Dr John Hinds, who was a strong advocate of establishing this service. It will be a fitting tribute to him.
“Great credit must go to the trustees of the charity Air Ambulance Northern Ireland who have worked so hard to deliver the project.”
Dr John Hinds was fatally injured working as a race medic at the Skerries 100 Road Race in Dublin last year. His family and friends have been to the fore in the campaign for the air ambulance.
Speaking on behalf of the MLKDC Board, Chairman Terence Brannigan said: “I welcome the announcement by the First Minister and deputy First Minister in respect of potentially locating the air ambulance at the Maze Long Kesh Site. The Development Corporation looks forward to working with and supporting Air Ambulance NI in the future.”
- Major PHI shareholder issues Open Letter to Management
- Jämtlandsflyg to seize operations
- Aeronautical Accessories to distribute GPMS HUMS for 407 i
- FAA Establishes Restrictions on Drone Operations over DOJ and DOD Facilities
- ESG offering Smart Mission Display for helicopters and mission aircraft
- Rosoboronexport Ready to Expand Cooperation
- Kopter Group will exhibit its SH09 at Heli-Expo 2019
- Devon Air Ambulance flies 27,000th mission
- Airbus eDynamic troubleshooting tool
- Airbus Keycopter at Heli-Expo 2019
- 8 Golden Rules About Weather and Helicopter Flights
- Southwest Fuel Systems Announces Facility Relocation and Expansion
- New Trustee for Taranaki Rescue Helicopter Trust
- UK EMS charities invited to bid for share of £10m funding
- Israel orders seven Leonardo AW119Kx trainers to replace Bell 206s
- Boeing Awarded $13M Contract for Qatar Armed Forces AH-64E Support
- Leonardo opens a new facility in Pisa
- 17-Feb-19 LN-ORH Robinson R44 Røldal, Norway (2F)
- 17-Feb-19 ZK- Airbus AS350 Nelson, New Zealand
- DART gets TCCA approval for its improved H130 Emergency Flotation System