HeliHub.com has become aware of a new prototype test flying with French manufacturer Hélicoptères Guimbal. The new aircraft is all white, and carries the French test registration F-WBGD in blue on the tail boom. On the tail fin, in the normal Guimbal style, is the serial number 2001 – “A Space Odyssey” to some, but the start of a new numbering series in this case.
All Cabri G2 helicopters to date have been in a series starting at 1001, with the 175th example recently delivered via distributors Cotswold Helicopter Centre to a customer in the UK with the appropriate registration G-TOOO.
Company President and CEO Bruno Guimbal told HeliHub.com that the new aircraft is an OPV (Optionally Piloted Vehicle) and the development aircraft for the VSR700 program. Run by Airbus Helicopters, VSR700 aims to develop an unmanned helicopter for a French Navy requirement, with DCNS partnering for the Navy integration work. Airbus Helicopters is leading on the autopilot and system integration, with Guimbal heading up the mechanical platform part of the project.
The prototype is a significant step towards the future tactical component of France’s Naval Aerial Drone (Système de Drones Aériens de la Marine – SDAM) programme. The work being done on VSR700 by Hélicoptères Guimbal is mostly funded by the French military procurement agency DGA (Direction Générale de l’Armement) . The Guimbal prototype is a heavily instrumented aircraft and to the casual eye looks like a standard Cabri G2 with plenty if black boxes inside.
- SPECTO Aerospace appointed helicopter Blade Repair Centre
- Hamilton Sundstrand Awarded $17M Contract for Helicopter Flight Control Computers
- Helijet Announces Results of the Special Meeting
- Bristow Provides Update on Status of SEC Filings
- Terma Aircraft Survivability Equipment on RNLAF NH90 Ready for Operational Use
- Leonardo and PWNE add AW189 simulator to Service Agreement in Malaysia
- Alpha Aviation Purchases Anchorage Helicopter Tours
- HeliOffshore Helideck Work Group Reports on Top Five Safety Events
- Bell Boeing JPO Awarded $7M Contract for V-22 Modification
- Raytheon testing AI to improve CV-22 maintenance planning
- FleckDecks Awarded $17M Contract for V-22 and MV-22 Procurement
- CPI Aero Secures Additional Orders From Sikorsky
- Recognize The Best of Vertical Aviation
- Akagera Aviation celebrates a decade of successful operations in Rwanda
- Airbus and Safran team-up for greener vertical flight
- Wiking signs for two AW139s
- Sikorsky Awarded $15M Contract for UH-60M Maintenance
- Japan National Police places order with Bell
- EASA certifies Safran Arrano 1A engine
- Airbus signs MoU with Pawan Hans for H145 and H225, plus AS365 support