HeliHub.com has become aware of a new prototype test flying with French manufacturer Hélicoptères Guimbal. The new aircraft is all white, and carries the French test registration F-WBGD in blue on the tail boom. On the tail fin, in the normal Guimbal style, is the serial number 2001 – “A Space Odyssey” to some, but the start of a new numbering series in this case.
All Cabri G2 helicopters to date have been in a series starting at 1001, with the 175th example recently delivered via distributors Cotswold Helicopter Centre to a customer in the UK with the appropriate registration G-TOOO.
Company President and CEO Bruno Guimbal told HeliHub.com that the new aircraft is an OPV (Optionally Piloted Vehicle) and the development aircraft for the VSR700 program. Run by Airbus Helicopters, VSR700 aims to develop an unmanned helicopter for a French Navy requirement, with DCNS partnering for the Navy integration work. Airbus Helicopters is leading on the autopilot and system integration, with Guimbal heading up the mechanical platform part of the project.
The prototype is a significant step towards the future tactical component of France’s Naval Aerial Drone (Système de Drones Aériens de la Marine – SDAM) programme. The work being done on VSR700 by Hélicoptères Guimbal is mostly funded by the French military procurement agency DGA (Direction Générale de l’Armement) . The Guimbal prototype is a heavily instrumented aircraft and to the casual eye looks like a standard Cabri G2 with plenty if black boxes inside.
- DART gets TCCA approval for its improved H130 Emergency Flotation System
- HAI President Message – Still going strong after 70 years
- Airbus reports strong Full-Year 2018 results
- Bell 407GXI certified in China
- India looking for 111 Naval Utility Helicopters
- FreeFlight Systems announces Sapphire Elite recognition program
- Contracts signed for air medical evacuation services in Europe and Africa
- Service center ODK-Klimov and UTair-Engineering helped Sanaviatsii
- Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal implements new Kathmandu heli-lanes
- Coptersafety provides update on H125 simulator
- USHST Sees Safety Benefits of Integrating UAS and OPA Technology into Helicopter Operations
- Universal Avionics to present innovative flight deck solutions at Heli-Expo
- UK AAIB Bulletin – February 2019
- DART’s H135 Crosstubes get approvals
- Heli-Union commences contract in French Guyana with two AS365Ns
- Raytheon Awarded $15M Contract for CV-22 Software Delivery
- Kailash Helicopter plans to add more helicopters
- Hungary buys nine pre-owned Airbus EC135s
- Austria – HeliAir upgrades OAMTC Airbus H135
- Volocopter works with Fraport to develop airport infrastructure