Helicopter Association International (HAI) announced today that Dr. John Leverton is the 2017 winner of HAI’s Salute to Excellence Bell Helicopter Lifetime Achievement Award for his lifetime of service dedicated to the aviation industry. The award will be presented at HAI’s Salute to Excellence Awards dinner at HAI HELI-EXPO 2017 in Dallas.
Since 1958, Dr. Leverton has worked in the helicopter industry studying and promoting helicopters. Operators, manufacturers, pilots, helicopter owners and various government and regulatory agencies have all been beneficiaries of his considerable knowledge and efforts in addressing helicopter and heliport issues.
Dr. Leverton has a bachelor’s degree in engineering, a master’s degree in acoustics, and a doctorate in helicopter aero-acoustics. He worked for Westland Helicopters Ltd in the United Kingdom until 1984 when he moved to the United States to work with Westland Inc. In 1996, he retired and formed his own company.
Dr. Leverton’s comprehensive understanding of the technical aspects of helicopter noise makes him very effective in addressing community noise issues. He has been an advisor/consultant for many helicopter manufacturers including Bell Textron, covering various aspects of noise measurement, environmental assessment issues, public acceptance of helicopters and civil regulations. He has published papers and given lectures on these subjects around the world. Dr. Leverton served as an advisor to the American Petroleum Institute and companies regarding development of guidelines for helidecks. He also advised HAI on issues in helicopter noise and International (ICAO) and FAA regulations.
Dr. Leverton served as chair of the HAI Acoustics, the Acoustics/Environmental, the Offshore, the Heliport and the Fly Neighborly Committees. He also served as director, vice president and later advisor on infrastructure/environmental development for American Helicopter Society International; as the International Coordinating Council of Aerospace Industries Associations representative to ICAO on Annex 16; and as the International Federation of Helicopter Associations representative to the ICAO Aerodrome Panel and Heliport Design Working Group.
The Salute to Excellence Awards will be presented at the annual Salute to Excellence Awards dinner during HAI HELI-EXPO 2017. HAI HELI-EXPO®, the world’s largest helicopter trade show and exhibition, will be held at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center in Dallas, March 6–9, with the exhibit hall open March 7–9.
- Air BP rolls out Airfield Automation digital technology across São Paulo heliports
- Bell Announces Delivery of First Bell 505 to Horizon International Flight Academy
- Frost & Sullivan Presents the Evolving UAM Landscape Up to 2040
- Sikorsky Donates S-76® Airframe
- EASA certifies Safran Aneto-1K in Leonardo AW189K
- New helipad opens at Maidstone Hospital
- CEO of Chinook Helicopters in Abbotsford among nation’s Most Powerful Women
- Southwest Fuel Systems Announces New Triumph Hydromechanical Unit MRO Capability for RR M250 Engines
- Airbus delivers first SAR H145 for German Armed Forces ahead of schedule
- Permali to supply ballistic protection for Royal Navy Commando Merlin fleet
- New app launched for owners to track inspections, maintenance, billing etc
- RYAN AEROSPACE launches HELIMOD Mark III PLUS+ at I/ITSEC
- Elbit helps add Integrated Weapon System to MD530MG
- AMSTAT announces an upgraded Dashboard for AMSTAT Premier and Connect
- Air Evac Lifeteam closes two Arkansas bases
- Horizon purchased Entrol a Bell 505 FTD Level 2 simulator
- Reiser wins Australian Forces contract for MRH90 Maintenance Training Rig
- Major Trauma Centre first in UK to benefit from weather station
- Transformative Vertical Flight 2020 and eVTOL Symposium
- StandardAero and Thales Team on AS350 autopilot