Helicopter Association International (HAI) announced today that Dr. John Leverton is the 2017 winner of HAI’s Salute to Excellence Bell Helicopter Lifetime Achievement Award for his lifetime of service dedicated to the aviation industry. The award will be presented at HAI’s Salute to Excellence Awards dinner at HAI HELI-EXPO 2017 in Dallas.
Since 1958, Dr. Leverton has worked in the helicopter industry studying and promoting helicopters. Operators, manufacturers, pilots, helicopter owners and various government and regulatory agencies have all been beneficiaries of his considerable knowledge and efforts in addressing helicopter and heliport issues.
Dr. Leverton has a bachelor’s degree in engineering, a master’s degree in acoustics, and a doctorate in helicopter aero-acoustics. He worked for Westland Helicopters Ltd in the United Kingdom until 1984 when he moved to the United States to work with Westland Inc. In 1996, he retired and formed his own company.
Dr. Leverton’s comprehensive understanding of the technical aspects of helicopter noise makes him very effective in addressing community noise issues. He has been an advisor/consultant for many helicopter manufacturers including Bell Textron, covering various aspects of noise measurement, environmental assessment issues, public acceptance of helicopters and civil regulations. He has published papers and given lectures on these subjects around the world. Dr. Leverton served as an advisor to the American Petroleum Institute and companies regarding development of guidelines for helidecks. He also advised HAI on issues in helicopter noise and International (ICAO) and FAA regulations.
Dr. Leverton served as chair of the HAI Acoustics, the Acoustics/Environmental, the Offshore, the Heliport and the Fly Neighborly Committees. He also served as director, vice president and later advisor on infrastructure/environmental development for American Helicopter Society International; as the International Coordinating Council of Aerospace Industries Associations representative to ICAO on Annex 16; and as the International Federation of Helicopter Associations representative to the ICAO Aerodrome Panel and Heliport Design Working Group.
The Salute to Excellence Awards will be presented at the annual Salute to Excellence Awards dinner during HAI HELI-EXPO 2017. HAI HELI-EXPO®, the world’s largest helicopter trade show and exhibition, will be held at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center in Dallas, March 6–9, with the exhibit hall open March 7–9.
- Online bookings open for new Isles of Scilly AW139 service
- Countdown to WAI Girls in Aviation Day Underway
- S.A.F.E. Successfully Completes STAGE 2 ISO 9001:2015 Audit
- NEXA Advisors Completes Landmark Urban Air Mobility Study
- Leonardo delivers AW119Kx VIP to customer in Chile
- Bell 407GXi earns IFR certification
- Dickson sworn in as new FAA Administrator
- Bell Announces 200th Bell 505 Jet Ranger X Delivery
- Pratt & Whitney to Open New Engine Overhaul Centre in Brazil
- Life Flight Network Achieves NAAMTA Medical Transport Accreditation
- WAI Receives Grant from the ISTAT Foundation
- Cornwall Air Ambulance appoints first Vice President
- Kopter enters the Brazilian market
- Leonardo confirms solid presence in the Brazilian VIP market at
- Elbit to supply components for CV-22 Color Helmet Mounted Display System
- East Anglia Air Ambulance to extend Norwich head office
- Forecast International Publishes White Paper on Global Outlook for Helicopters
- German NH90s get upgrade with Rohde & Schwarz radios
- Airbus now accepting nominations for sixth annual ‘Innovation in Safety Award’
- Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance Shortlisted for Third Sector Awards