Babcock Mission Critical Services Onshore has won a contract from windfarm operator Dong Energy for helicopter support. This has resulted in an order for Airbus Helicopters for two Turbomeca-powered H135s, which will be fitted with a hoist.
The aircraft will support the 660 MegaWatt Walney Extension wind farm in the Irish Sea between Britain’s Lancashire coast and the Isle of Man, expected to be the world’s largest offshore installed capacity when inaugurated. It will consist of 40 8MW MHI Vestas and 47 7MW Siemens wind turbines across an area of 145 sq.km, adding to the existing Walney 1, Walney 2 and Barrow wind farms in the same area. While these have been supported by ship up to now, it is feasible that Babcock could get more helicopter work from these earlier installations.
In October 2016, Dong Energy submitted a planning application (ref B12/2016/0762) for “Construction of an Operations and Maintenance (O&M) Heliport Facility, on land at Walney Aerodrome. Proposals include the construction of a Hangar with associated apron, a flight operations building (incorporating an office and crew facilities), helipad, refueling facilities with on-site fire fighting facilities and associated car parking. Proposals also include upgrade works to part of the internal road system, installation of utilities and a dedicated Gatehouse to provide a separate access route and security point for the Heliport Facility.” A decision is expected on this application in the next 2-3 months by Barrow Borough Council.
Babcock currently operates one EC135T2 on windfarm operations, supporting the Greater Gabbard offshore wind farm from a dedicated base at Lowestoft in Suffolk. This new five year Walney contract is a big success for Babcock, as Dong Energy currently contracts with Danish operator UniFly for helicopter support off the east coast of the UK. Unifly have one EC135 based out of Humberside Airport for this work.
- Trump proposes import duties on Airbus helicopters built in EU
- Trakka Systems announces TLX Searchlight Order
- 24-Feb-19 9H-VIP Airbus EC135 Valetta, Malta
- Hungary buys nine pre-owned Airbus EC135s
- 13-Feb-19 D-HJMD Airbus EC135P2 Neustadt an der Orla, Germany
- SPAES procures nine medical racks for EC135 installation
- Airbus EC135 – FAA AD 2013-21-05R1 – Bearings
- Lider receives two new H135s
- Installation of SLANT-console in Airbus EC135
- Red Arrows Support Handover of First ACH135 for charter ops
- ACH Displays New ACH135 Helionix
- Babcock renews Great Western Air Ambulance contract for 5 years
- Babcock to upgrade five EC135s for WPD
- New mission systems extend the capabilities for the German Federal Police Air Support
- German Federal Police procures mission systems from ESG
- CHC introduces AW189 in Australia
- ALT wins German military contract with five EC135s
- NHSL adds EC135 and AW139 in Trinidad and Tobago
- Police Scotland to support EC135 with two drones
- Great Western Air Ambulance upgrade to EC135T2+