Babcock Mission Critical Services Onshore has won a contract from windfarm operator Dong Energy for helicopter support. This has resulted in an order for Airbus Helicopters for two Turbomeca-powered H135s, which will be fitted with a hoist.
The aircraft will support the 660 MegaWatt Walney Extension wind farm in the Irish Sea between Britain’s Lancashire coast and the Isle of Man, expected to be the world’s largest offshore installed capacity when inaugurated. It will consist of 40 8MW MHI Vestas and 47 7MW Siemens wind turbines across an area of 145 sq.km, adding to the existing Walney 1, Walney 2 and Barrow wind farms in the same area. While these have been supported by ship up to now, it is feasible that Babcock could get more helicopter work from these earlier installations.
In October 2016, Dong Energy submitted a planning application (ref B12/2016/0762) for “Construction of an Operations and Maintenance (O&M) Heliport Facility, on land at Walney Aerodrome. Proposals include the construction of a Hangar with associated apron, a flight operations building (incorporating an office and crew facilities), helipad, refueling facilities with on-site fire fighting facilities and associated car parking. Proposals also include upgrade works to part of the internal road system, installation of utilities and a dedicated Gatehouse to provide a separate access route and security point for the Heliport Facility.” A decision is expected on this application in the next 2-3 months by Barrow Borough Council.
Babcock currently operates one EC135T2 on windfarm operations, supporting the Greater Gabbard offshore wind farm from a dedicated base at Lowestoft in Suffolk. This new five year Walney contract is a big success for Babcock, as Dong Energy currently contracts with Danish operator UniFly for helicopter support off the east coast of the UK. Unifly have one EC135 based out of Humberside Airport for this work.
- Compass and ALG ship EC135 from UK to US for Air Methods
- Netherlands – HeliCentre buys Entrol EC135 simulator
- Devon Air Ambulance resumes ops – EC135s fitted with separation screens
- UT Health East Texas welcomes third rebranded EC135
- EC135 Reduced mandatory maintenance and flight checks
- Devon Air Ambulance adds two Critical Care Cars
- Gama Aviation releases Flight Data Monitoring mod for Airbus H135 and H145
- Devon Air Ambulance reports 2019 statistics
- Royal Thai Air Force orders six Airbus H135 military trainers
- Polish Border Guard adds Airbus H135
- Gozo EMS operation upgrading to EC135
- DRF Luftrettung expands its H145 and H135 fleet
- NASA orders three Airbus H135s
- EASA approves STC for Trakka TLX searchlight on EC135
- Cayman Police replace damaged EC135 wtih second H145
- 723 Squadron helicopters achieve 10,000 flying hours
- Airbus launches retrofit solution for EC135 Electrical Master Boxes
- Metro first to STC H135 T3H Air Medical Interior
- Trump proposes import duties on Airbus helicopters built in EU
- Trakka Systems announces TLX Searchlight Order