Successful integration and testing of the new Transition to Hover feature has now been completed in the AS332L/L1 Super Puma helicopter. As part of a new software change for the Universal Avionics Flight Management System (FMS), Transition to Hover is a must-have feature for any AS332L/L1 crew engaged in overwater SAR operations, where the helicopter must be brought to a position to allow for winch operations.
The Transition to Hover feature allows pilots to mark a target, and the FMS provides an automatic downwind leg with a course reversal. This positions the helicopter to a point where the CDV-155 can perform the transition down and deceleration to a stable hover downwind of the target. Transition to Hover allows a hands-free operation for the crew, allowing them to focus on other mission critical tactics.
“This is an important addition to the FMS/Multi-Missions Management System (MMMS) SAR capabilities,” said Grady Dees, Universal Avionics Director of Technical Sales. “The Mark-on-Target can be activated during any MMMS operation, including during automatic search patterns,” he added. “Just a single pilot action after MarkOn-Target allows the automatic procedure to be executed.”
The flight testing in Stavanger, Norway was accomplished on a military helicopter with Heli-One as part of an AS332L/L1 modernization program currently underway.
“The Transition to Hover feature is a valuable tool for crews and can heavily benefit search and rescue missions,” said Anthony DiNota, President, Heli-One. “This solution was developed by Universal Avionics as they continue to enhance their flight management systems, adding great mission value for operators. We are pleased to collaborate with them and to work with our customers to bring these solutions to operational capability.”
To learn more, visit Universal Avionics booth number 9149 or Heli-One booth number 2608 during the Helicopter Association International’s (HAI) 2017 Heli-Expo.
- MD Helicopters Secures $34 Million Army Contract
- New helipad opens at Groves Memorial Community Hospital
- Melfort hospital helipad complete
- Italian Air Force enhances emergency response and homeland security capabilities
- Air Methods donates AS350B2 to Mercy Air Africa
- ITT Enidine selected as partner for Bell 360 program
- PS Engineering responds to customer requests with latest PAC45J audio controller
- Bell Opens Global Commercial Business Center
- GKN Aerospace promotes its role in German NH90 order
- NZ helicopter operator charged over volcano tourist health and safety
- Korean Air extends USMC H-53 APAC maintenance contract
- Aviation Data Solutions launches unique software solutions for operators and handling agents
- ConnectSkies agency champions ‘green’ helicopters
- Transport Canada strengthens ELT requirements
- GKN wins Boeing silver award for AH-64 and CH-47 program work
- Edmonton Police take delivery of new Airbus H125
- South Korea certifies the VK-2500PS-03 engine for the Mi-171A2
- Wales Air Ambulance starts 24×7 ops
- DynCorp extends CalFire support contract
- Germany procures 31 NH90s for Navy role