Metro Aviation began in 1982 as a helicopter charter, flight training and maintenance operation. Today, it is the largest air medical completion center in the world and operates more than 140 aircraft for 36 programs across the United States. This year, the company celebrates its 35th anniversary and is reflecting on its strong heritage and tradition.
Metro has launched a digital scrapbook, themetrostory.com, which is a collection of memories and stories told be the people that make up Metro Aviation.
“I attribute a lot of Metro’s success to our people. We truly have a great team behind us,” says Metro President Mike Stanberry. “Many of our employees have been here since the beginning, or shortly thereafter. Those employees, along with our outstanding partners make up the Metro Family. They have provided a solid foundation on which to build this company.”
Metro Aviation’s tradition is lined with stories of safety, quality and customer service, a mantra that echoes through the halls of the company. Metro was the first air medical operator to equip its entire fleet with Night Vision Goggles (NVG’s), first to require that all pilots be IFR (Instrument Flight Rules) current and qualified, first to send 100% of its pilots to simulator training and, in 2014, was one of only three organizations to achieve Level IV of the FAA Safety Management System Pilot Project for Part 135 operators. Metro may quite possibly have been the first to utilize video recording in the cockpit, first rigged up in the 90’s by Managing Director Milton Geltz with a camera from the local audiovisual store, a memory that will make an appearance on themetrostory.com in the coming months.
Aside from its completion and operations business, Metro is also the parent company to PAC International, Outerlink Global Solutions and the Helicopter Flight Training Center. Together, the Metro Companies create a well-rounded brand to meet the needs of the helicopter community. PAC International in Pennsylvania has a rich tradition dating back to 1976, and serves as a completion center for Metro customers in the North East, as well as its own customers, including a steady stream of international operators. Metro acquired Outerlink Global Solutions to merge with its other acquisition, North Flight Data Systems, to create the most technologically advanced system for flight tracking, communications and data monitoring. That system is known as IRIS. In 2012, Metro opened the Helicopter Flight Training Center, catering to pilots, mechanics and communication specialists.
As Metro reflects on the past 35 years, they are also looking to the future. The company has increased its presence in South America and is welcoming a large number of international customers to the Helicopter Flight Training Center. In addition, Metro welcomed three new operations customers in the past six months and is on track to complete nearly 30 aircraft in 2017.
Metro Aviation is displaying at HELI-EXPO in Dallas, March 7-9, at Booth #9342
- “Before your flight” example of Airbus proactive support of global safety initiatives
- US Allied Forces Kick-off EOD Exercise HYDRACRAB
- HAI Applauds Utah Rotor Pathway Program Rollout
- Russia in the lead at the 3rd stage of the Helicopter World Cup
- Airbus delivers H145 to New Zealand EMS
- Omni reaches over 100,000 hours flown in AW139 aircraft
- Bavaria’s air rescue is considered a leader
- Sikorsky S-92A™ Helicopter Certified For Expanded Brazil Operations
- Helibras and Airbus bring luxury and power to LABACE 2019
- Kopter participates in Zigermeet 2019
- CHC Safety and Quality Summit Announces Scholarship Program for Female Aviators for 2020
- Omni Táxi Aéreo awarded for most distant Offshore flight ever made in Brazil
- London Air Ambulance appeal receives £2million boost
- Garmin® to certify GFC 600H on the Bell 505 Jet Ranger X
- Airbus Helicopters Delivers 200th UH-72A Lakota
- ARCH Air Medical’s 40th Year of Dedication to the St. Louis Area
- VFS announces Student Design Winners
- Online bookings open for new Isles of Scilly AW139 service
- Countdown to WAI Girls in Aviation Day Underway
- S.A.F.E. Successfully Completes STAGE 2 ISO 9001:2015 Audit