Safran announces the first ground run of the Arriel 2L2 engine at its Bordes facility, beginning of June. The Arriel family was selected in 2016 to power the new Korean civil and military helicopters, known as the LCH (Light Civil Helicopter) and LAH (Light Armed Helicopter). The Arriel 2L2 is co-developed by Safran Helicopter Engines and Hanwha Techwin, which will license-produce units in its Changwon plant, South-Korea. Hanwha Techwin will also be responsible for the engine’s MRO.
Commented Nicolas Billecocq, Safran Helicopter Engines Vice President Light Helicopter Engines Program, “First Engine To Test is an important milestone in any engine program history. We look forward to next steps in the development of 2L2 and the LCH/LAH”.
Developed from the Arriel 2N, the 2L2 is the most powerful Arriel variant with a take-off power rating of 1024 shp. The Arriel 2L2 will deliver better reliability, power and performance during demanding missions. Certification is planned for late 2020 and entry into service for 2022.
The Arriel is the best-selling helicopter engine in its class. Over the past 40 years, over 12,000 units have been produced, together logging more than 46 million flight hours. With power outputs ranging from 650 to 1024 shp, the Arriel family now powers over 40 different helicopter types. Within its category, the Arriel is just as reliable as the CFM56.
An Arriel-powered helicopter takes off every 15 seconds – all day, every day.
- Online bookings open for new Isles of Scilly AW139 service
- Countdown to WAI Girls in Aviation Day Underway
- S.A.F.E. Successfully Completes STAGE 2 ISO 9001:2015 Audit
- NEXA Advisors Completes Landmark Urban Air Mobility Study
- Leonardo delivers AW119Kx VIP to customer in Chile
- Bell 407GXi earns IFR certification
- Dickson sworn in as new FAA Administrator
- Bell Announces 200th Bell 505 Jet Ranger X Delivery
- Pratt & Whitney to Open New Engine Overhaul Centre in Brazil
- Life Flight Network Achieves NAAMTA Medical Transport Accreditation
- WAI Receives Grant from the ISTAT Foundation
- Cornwall Air Ambulance appoints first Vice President
- Kopter enters the Brazilian market
- Leonardo confirms solid presence in the Brazilian VIP market at
- Elbit to supply components for CV-22 Color Helmet Mounted Display System
- East Anglia Air Ambulance to extend Norwich head office
- Forecast International Publishes White Paper on Global Outlook for Helicopters
- German NH90s get upgrade with Rohde & Schwarz radios
- Airbus now accepting nominations for sixth annual ‘Innovation in Safety Award’
- Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance Shortlisted for Third Sector Awards