Israeli is looking to modernizing their heavy-lift helicopter fleet by replacing their CH-53 Yasur helicopters. The fleet has been in service for over 50 years and although they have recently been upgraded, a replacement is needed. The money for the replacement will come from the MoU of $38 billion signed in 2016 between Washington and Jerusalem.
The two main competitors for the contract is Boeing’s CH-47 Chinook and Lockheed’s CH-53K King Stallion. The King Stallion costs $87 million a unit and has three engines that allow it to reach cruising speeds of 261 km/h and has a range of 852 km. It fits a crew of five, has fitted weapons, ballistic protection and retracting landing gear, reports JPost.
The Chinook is considerably less expensive, coming to a unit of cost $38.55 million. It has a full digital system and twin engines that enable it to a cruising speed of 291 km/h and a range of 370 km.
- Nepal – Summit Helicopters rebrands back to original Fishtail Air name
- Airbus appoints Head of External Communications
- Garmin® unveils the fourth generation GPS/NAV/COMM
- Boeing delivered more new Apaches than 737s in 2019 Q4
- Farewell Message from Matt Zuccaro as he hands over HAI
- Manufacturing of Tiltrotor AW609 wind tunnel model via SLS and Windform
- Sikorsky, Rheinmetall Unveil Plans for German Heavy-Lift CH-53K
- Vertical Flight Society Announces Continued Strong Growth
- Era Group Names Senior Vice President of Business Development
- Schiebel Camcopter S-100 deployed for river pollution crisis in Malaysia
- 25,000 missions for Essex & Herts Air Ambulance
- Bristow used Chapter 11 process to drop Airbus H175 order
- US Navy awards $2.68 Billion contract for APKWS rockets
- THOMMEN delivers first multi function displays for the AW129
- Milestone Aviation Group names CEO
- Air Methods Promotes new CEO
- HH-60W enters chamber for defense systems testing
- Botswana police order three Enstrom 480B
- “Who Rates Best to Avoid Fatal Helicopter Accidents? Who Rates Worst?”
- S.A.F.E. will present a Maintenance Safety session at Heli Expo 2020