South Australia Police (SAPOL) have rolled out highly sophisticated infra-red sensor technology among the vital equipment used on the State Rescue Helicopter.
The infra-red sensors, funded by the State Government and SAPOL, were installed late last year as part of a significant technology upgrade to the helicopter currently used by SAPOL.
“These sensors replaced the outdated FLIR camera system, and have significantly increased our capabilities especially at night,” Superintendent David O’Donovan, the officer in charge of the Special Tasks and Rescue (STAR) Group.
“In essence the Wescam EOIRS is a highly sophisticated camera system that provides high definition images using visible light, or by creating an image from infra-red radiation typically emitted from everyday objects.
Over the first six months of operation, the new camera technology has proven invaluable in operational circumstances.
“It has allowed us to find missing people in challenging circumstances at night, directing rescuers to their location with invaluable precision and assisted in the tracking of high-risk offenders in stolen vehicles.
“The integration of this technology has resulted in our helicopters being among the most mission-capable in the world.”
SAPOL’s aircrew, who are part of STAR Group, are fully trained in the use of the system, with one sensor permanently affixed to one helicopter, and a second sensor is capable of being fitted to the two other helicopters used by the State Rescue Helicopter Service.
- FAA downgrades Malaysia safety rating
- Penzance Helicopters launches Travel Club discount for Isles of Scilly residents
- Metro Aviation appoints HR Director
- Becker delivers ADS-B transponders for German law enforcement AS332s
- FindHeli launches helicopter booking app
- Wiltshire Air Ambulance becomes fourth UK EMS operator with Air Operator Certificate
- US Army to buy 31 simulators from Ryan Aerospace
- GE partners with Hybrid Project for high-endurance VTOL UAV
- Lockheed Martin appoints leader of Future Vertical Lift campaign
- FAA issues new diabetic protocol for pilots
- Milestone CEO promoted to top GECAS role
- Kaman to Deliver K-MAX® to Helicopter Express In 2019
- Inmarsat launches broadband solution for helicopters
- Shetland Coastguard team win UK award
- HAI Announces Recipient of 2020 Salute to Excellence Golden Hour Award
- Safran Ardiden 1U engine obtains EASA certification
- Air Methods Celebrates the Accomplishments of Tulsa LifeFlight
- Alberta puts stop to firefighters rappelling from helicopters
- Port of Mangalore adds helipad for cruise ship services
- 10-Nov-19 N827MW Sikorsky S58 Lebanon, US-Indiana