South Australia Police (SAPOL) have rolled out highly sophisticated infra-red sensor technology among the vital equipment used on the State Rescue Helicopter.
The infra-red sensors, funded by the State Government and SAPOL, were installed late last year as part of a significant technology upgrade to the helicopter currently used by SAPOL.
“These sensors replaced the outdated FLIR camera system, and have significantly increased our capabilities especially at night,” Superintendent David O’Donovan, the officer in charge of the Special Tasks and Rescue (STAR) Group.
“In essence the Wescam EOIRS is a highly sophisticated camera system that provides high definition images using visible light, or by creating an image from infra-red radiation typically emitted from everyday objects.
Over the first six months of operation, the new camera technology has proven invaluable in operational circumstances.
“It has allowed us to find missing people in challenging circumstances at night, directing rescuers to their location with invaluable precision and assisted in the tracking of high-risk offenders in stolen vehicles.
“The integration of this technology has resulted in our helicopters being among the most mission-capable in the world.”
SAPOL’s aircrew, who are part of STAR Group, are fully trained in the use of the system, with one sensor permanently affixed to one helicopter, and a second sensor is capable of being fitted to the two other helicopters used by the State Rescue Helicopter Service.
- Columbia Helicopters Still Aims to Sell
- Irish SAR pilots to take industrial action
- Serbia to Order more Mi-17/Mi-35s from Russia
- Rolls-Royce Awarded $36M Contract for Delivery of 17 V-22 AE1107C Engines
- New police airbase in Essex
- Bell at SXSW 2019
- Bell Boeing JPO Awarded $144M Contract for V-22 Support
- Bell Awarded $440M Contract for AH-1Z Production
- Airbus consolidates its global digital strategy
- Landing Support team completes V-22 night taining
- New CAP 1747 Report Identifies Optimum Strategy for Flight Crew HTAWS Alerts
- Indonesian Army selects 9 Bell 412EPI
- NHV expands executive team
- HAL LCH Demonstrates Unique Capability
- Sikorsky Awarded $7M Contract for CH-53K Systems Modifications
- Adar Poonawalla takes delivery of India’s first ACH145
- Helijet supports Power To Be with new partnership
- HeliOffshore Appoints New Chief Operating Officer
- Unique Aerospace Physiology and Human Performance Update Course to be provided at Heli-Expo 2019
- Triumph Awarded DLA Contract Extension