South Australia Police (SAPOL) have rolled out highly sophisticated infra-red sensor technology among the vital equipment used on the State Rescue Helicopter.
The infra-red sensors, funded by the State Government and SAPOL, were installed late last year as part of a significant technology upgrade to the helicopter currently used by SAPOL.
“These sensors replaced the outdated FLIR camera system, and have significantly increased our capabilities especially at night,” Superintendent David O’Donovan, the officer in charge of the Special Tasks and Rescue (STAR) Group.
“In essence the Wescam EOIRS is a highly sophisticated camera system that provides high definition images using visible light, or by creating an image from infra-red radiation typically emitted from everyday objects.
Over the first six months of operation, the new camera technology has proven invaluable in operational circumstances.
“It has allowed us to find missing people in challenging circumstances at night, directing rescuers to their location with invaluable precision and assisted in the tracking of high-risk offenders in stolen vehicles.
“The integration of this technology has resulted in our helicopters being among the most mission-capable in the world.”
SAPOL’s aircrew, who are part of STAR Group, are fully trained in the use of the system, with one sensor permanently affixed to one helicopter, and a second sensor is capable of being fitted to the two other helicopters used by the State Rescue Helicopter Service.
- 21 stakeholders sign Single European Sky agreement
- Scotland’s Charity Air Ambulance to add second base at Aberdeen
- Elbit Systems completes acquisition of Harris Night Vision Business
- MDHI Awarded CLS and training contract
- Sheffield Children’s Hospital Helipad receives £562,500 boos
- FlightSafety now offers safety and security training for corporate crews and passengers
- Hampshire and IOW Air Ambulance missions up 62% year-on-year
- Airbus Foundation supports Bolivian efforts to fight fires in Amazon
- Students STEP into the Future with Bell
- Luton Airport to provide free fuel to Children’s Air Ambulance
- Omni signs 24 month contract with Constellation Oil
- Metro Aviation takes delivery of first Airbus EC145e
- Mecaer Delivers Bell 505 MAGnificent
- More than $360,000 raised for STARS
- AeroVironment unveils VAPOR all-electric helicopter UAS
- StandardAero expands with Safe Aviation Solutions acquisition
- CPI Aero gains orders for T70 Turkish Utility Helicopter Program
- CHC Appoints New Executive Lead for Global Operations and Supply Chain
- HAI President/CEO Named to USDOT Safety Oversight and Certification Advisory Committee
- Able Opens New Expansion of Headquarters