In addition to the recorded data, IRIS provides an always-on, always-connected signal that allows communication specialists to monitor an aircraft’s activities in real-time, communicate with pilots though global push-to-talk radio and receive immediate alerts and warnings from the cockpit. GPS tracking reports are provided through L-Band satellite or Iridium.
The capabilities of IRIS are endless, as evidenced by an announcement by Outerlink, Sikorsky and PHI during this year’s HELI-EXPO in Dallas. The companies launched a pilot program to further enhance safety in the rotorcraft industry with real-time helicopter health and usage monitoring systems (RTHUMS). RTHUMS allows commercial helicopter operators the ability to view and track the aircraft in real-time, and provide additional information to support operational and maintenance decisions. (View the video from Sikorsky, PHI and Outerlink here: https://vimeo.com/207297955)
Outerlink is a Metro Aviation company and Outerlink’s IRIS system is currently being installed on the air medical operator’s entire domestic fleet. “We are excited to bring this technology to Europe,” said Metro President Mike Stanberry. “IRIS is an absolute game changer for the industry. In terms of safety, we are delivering a solution that provides all the tools you need for operating a safe fleet.”
EASA validations for the EC135 and EC145 are expected within 30 days.
- FlightSafety appoints Executive Director of Operations
- Blue Hawaiian Helicopters Named ‘Best Tour Company’ in Hawaii
- Bell Awarded $28M Contract for UH-1N and TH-1H Support
- Essex & Herts Air Ambulance to receive £1.5M grant towards £4M hangar
- Aviation Blade Services Joins First Aviation Services Family
- Rusada unveils new Technical Publications module for ENVISION
- US accident data heading for worst year in over a decade
- Derriford Hospital helipad sees 1700 landings in four years
- Geisinger Life Flight Implement WinAir Digital Signatures
- The Air Ambulance Service scoops national charity award
- Leonardo Helicopters picks workwear supplier for Yeovil production plant
- HAI Hires New Director of Government Affairs
- Heli-Parts Nevada acquired by Salus Aviation
- Heli-One appoints New VP H1 Operations
- DRF Luftrettung receives EURAMI certification
- Vertical Flight Society Announces Winner of 2019 Alfred Gessow Best Paper Award
- WJZ-CBS Baltimore Adds Robinson R66 Newscopter
- 1st CAB Commander Makes Final Flight
- Star Navigation Announces MEDEVAC Agreement with Airmedic Inc.
- Airbus makes changes to its Executive Committee