Pratt & Whitney Canada (P&WC) announced today that its PT6C-67A helicopter engine – that powers the AW609, an aircraft that flies both horizontally and vertically – has achieved certification from Transport Canada. P&WC is a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX).
FAA validation of the PT6C-67A engine is expected by the end of 2017 and supports FAA certification of the AW609 in 2018 as the first commercial tiltrotor to enter operation.
“We were presented with a special challenge by Leonardo Helicopters – design an engine to power an aircraft that takes off and lands vertically, and flies horizontally well above adverse weather conditions at twice the speed and range of a helicopter,” says Irene Makris, Vice President, Marketing, P&WC. “The PT6C-67A eloquently answers that challenge with 2,000 shp output that provides exceptional power to weight ratio, and durability.”
The PT6C-67A benefits from the reliability of the PT6 engine family. It has a new compressor with advanced aerodynamics and the engine’s new turbines are made with state-of-the-art materials. Together, the new compressor and turbine enable increased power and reduced fuel consumption. The engine has also been certified to allow for continuous operation in a vertical position.
“Enabling the speed and performance characteristics of the AW609, the PT6C-67A certification now drives tiltrotor development forward towards the future of aircraft transport,” said Gian Piero Cutillo, Managing Director, Leonardo Helicopters. “This certification represents a milestone within the program that will allow us to certify the aircraft by the end of 2018 and remain on schedule with initial customer deliveries.”
P&WC will be at Helitech, booth 10B35. Interested operators are invited to drop by the booth to speak with a marketing or customer service representative.
100,000 Reasons To Go Beyond
P&WC reached a significant milestone in April 2017, when it produced its 100,000th engine, a testament to the company’s longevity and leadership in the global aerospace market. P&WC will celebrate this achievement throughout the year, recognizing all families of products as well as dedicated employees and loyal customers who, together, have marked the many accomplishments of its journey.
- Dickson sworn in as new FAA Administrator
- Bell Announces 200th Bell 505 Jet Ranger X Delivery
- Pratt & Whitney to Open New Engine Overhaul Centre in Brazil
- Life Flight Network Achieves NAAMTA Medical Transport Accreditation
- WAI Receives Grant from the ISTAT Foundation
- Cornwall Air Ambulance appoints first Vice President
- Kopter enters the Brazilian market
- Leonardo confirms solid presence in the Brazilian VIP market at
- Elbit to supply components for CV-22 Color Helmet Mounted Display System
- East Anglia Air Ambulance to extend Norwich head office
- Forecast International Publishes White Paper on Global Outlook for Helicopters
- German NH90s get upgrade with Rohde & Schwarz radios
- Airbus now accepting nominations for sixth annual ‘Innovation in Safety Award’
- Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance Shortlisted for Third Sector Awards
- Thames Valley Air Ambulance partners with what3words app
- STARS announces winners of $4.1M Saskatchewan Lottery
- Genesys Aerosystems Equipped Leonardo TH-119 Achieves IFR Certification
- Boeing opens V-22 production facility
- Helicentre Announces Bristow CPL(H) Scholarship
- Keynote Speakers Announced for CHC Safety & Quality Summit