Leonardo announced today that the Government of Queensland in Australia has placed an order for two additional AgustaWestland AW139 intermediate twin engine helicopters. The aircrafts are expected to enter into service by December 2018 performing emergency medical services and search and rescue missions over land and sea. The AW139s will replace two older helicopter models as part of a fleet modernization programme and reduce maintenance costs.
With world leading capability, performance, ride quality and cabin space, the AW139 has been chosen for its ability to meet the Queensland Government’s operational requirements. These helicopters will add to three AW139s already in service with the Queensland Government, further strengthening the State’s air rescue capabilities and leveraging efficiencies in support, maintenance and training. The new aircraft will be operated by Queensland Government Air (QGAir), a division of the Queensland Government’s Public Safety Business Agency and will be based in Townsville. The aircraft will also serve across all of North Queensland and will be subject to fleet rotation between North and South when needed, in order to ensure the optimum coverage for the State’s community.
This latest order further reinforces the presence of Leonardo in the Australian market with more than 120 helicopters of various models ordered to date for both commercial, public utility and military roles. In the last few years the AW139 has proven to be the most successful EMS helicopter in Australia with 30 already in service with various customers.
- Nepal – Summit Helicopters rebrands back to original Fishtail Air name
- Airbus appoints Head of External Communications
- Garmin® unveils the fourth generation GPS/NAV/COMM
- Boeing delivered more new Apaches than 737s in 2019 Q4
- Farewell Message from Matt Zuccaro as he hands over HAI
- Manufacturing of Tiltrotor AW609 wind tunnel model via SLS and Windform
- Sikorsky, Rheinmetall Unveil Plans for German Heavy-Lift CH-53K
- Vertical Flight Society Announces Continued Strong Growth
- Era Group Names Senior Vice President of Business Development
- Schiebel Camcopter S-100 deployed for river pollution crisis in Malaysia
- 25,000 missions for Essex & Herts Air Ambulance
- Bristow used Chapter 11 process to drop Airbus H175 order
- US Navy awards $2.68 Billion contract for APKWS rockets
- THOMMEN delivers first multi function displays for the AW129
- Milestone Aviation Group names CEO
- Air Methods Promotes new CEO
- HH-60W enters chamber for defense systems testing
- Botswana police order three Enstrom 480B
- “Who Rates Best to Avoid Fatal Helicopter Accidents? Who Rates Worst?”
- S.A.F.E. will present a Maintenance Safety session at Heli Expo 2020