Leonardo announced today that the Government of Queensland in Australia has placed an order for two additional AgustaWestland AW139 intermediate twin engine helicopters. The aircrafts are expected to enter into service by December 2018 performing emergency medical services and search and rescue missions over land and sea. The AW139s will replace two older helicopter models as part of a fleet modernization programme and reduce maintenance costs.
With world leading capability, performance, ride quality and cabin space, the AW139 has been chosen for its ability to meet the Queensland Government’s operational requirements. These helicopters will add to three AW139s already in service with the Queensland Government, further strengthening the State’s air rescue capabilities and leveraging efficiencies in support, maintenance and training. The new aircraft will be operated by Queensland Government Air (QGAir), a division of the Queensland Government’s Public Safety Business Agency and will be based in Townsville. The aircraft will also serve across all of North Queensland and will be subject to fleet rotation between North and South when needed, in order to ensure the optimum coverage for the State’s community.
This latest order further reinforces the presence of Leonardo in the Australian market with more than 120 helicopters of various models ordered to date for both commercial, public utility and military roles. In the last few years the AW139 has proven to be the most successful EMS helicopter in Australia with 30 already in service with various customers.
- Italian National Fire Corps orders five more AW139s
- Safran unveils Add+ engine technological demonstrator
- FAA approves Astronautics EFI on Leonardo AW109 and AW119
- UK Government praises Air Ambulance charities
- AeroVironment buys VTOL UAS Developer Pulse Aerospace
- Airbus Helicopters supports modernisation of training centre in Ukraine
- French Air Force reinforce its fleet of H225Ms
- First ground run of Tech TP turboprop demonstrator by Safra
- Donaldson celebrates international sales growth
- Russian Helicopters demonstrates Ansat’s satellite communication system
- Rostec to show Ansat at Paris Air Show 2019
- SH09 third prototype flies higher and faster in Sicily
- Experts spell out actions for safety excellence
- Dallas Airmotive joins MRO Insider’s Network of Maintenance Providers
- Sundance Helicopters Partners with Hillsboro Heli Academy
- Devon Air Ambulance pilot elected to prestigious flight safety post
- Speakers for 10th Anniversary Aeromedical Conference
- EU wide rules on drones published
- VIKING secures offshore helicopter PPE contract
- HeliOffshore Appoints New Communications Director