One of East Anglian Air Ambulance’s (EAAA’s) founding members and aviation consultant, Gerry Hermer, received the Eric Brown Award at the British Helicopter Association (BHA) annual dinner this month.
Gerry’s drive and passion were behind the establishment of the air ambulance in East Anglia, and in the early years of EAAA his company Sterling Aviation provided the charity’s helicopters. Gerry also offered his first class flying expertise by regularly undertaking shifts as a pilot for EAAA. After his retirement from Sterling, Gerry then became the aviation consultant for EAAA, before retiring from the charity earlier this year.
The team at Babcock International nominated Gerry for this prestigious award. The ‘Eric Brown Award’ was established by the British Helicopter Advisory Board (the former name of the British helicopter Association) Council of Management in recognition of the outstanding service given by the late Captain E.M. Brown (who sadly passed away last year) to the helicopter industry while he was Chief Executive of the BHAB from 1968 until 1987. Among many accolades Eric was a British Royal Navy officer and test pilot who flew 487 types of aircraft, more than anyone else in history. He was also the most-decorated pilot in the history of the Royal Navy. These achievements show the gravity of the award, and the calibre of individuals that are nominated. The Award is made annually by the BHA to the individual whom they consider has made a significant contribution towards the helicopter industry.
The extent of Eric Brown’s service to the industry (and country) and his many achievements shows what an honour it is to win this award. Everyone at EAAA could not be more proud of Gerry for what he has achieved and we are incredibly grateful for everything he has done for EAAA and the aviation industry in general. We are delighted that he has received recognition of his service by receiving this award. What a way for Gerry to finish off his retirement year!
- Sundance Helicopters Partners with Hillsboro Heli Academy
- Devon Air Ambulance pilot elected to prestigious flight safety post
- Speakers for 10th Anniversary Aeromedical Conference
- EU wide rules on drones published
- VIKING secures offshore helicopter PPE contract
- HeliOffshore Appoints New Communications Director
- Boeing Awarded $194M Contract for MH-47G Procurement
- 30 years of Christoph 51 in service
- Airbus to mark 50 years of pioneering achievements at Paris Air Show 2019
- US Navy Reservist Takes Helm of Helicopter Training Squadron 8
- Workhorse Group Secures Financing
- VFS Expands Support to eVTOL
- Specialist Aviation Services welcomes new CEO
- Nakanihon Air Service takes delivery of 20th H135
- Air Methods Added to Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama’s Air Ambulance Network
- GHS announces Red Cross contract in Nigeria
- Quark Expeditions new ship has two helipads and two helicopters
- Sikorsky Awarded $542M Contract for Presidential Helicopter Replacement Program Support
- Pacific Heliport Services Receives Provincial Grant
- Deloitte launches eVTOL market report