The CityAirbus programme has reached another important milestone: the completion and “power on” of the “iron bird” ground test facility in Taufkirchen, Germany. This enables the verification of the entire electric propulsion system of CityAirbus, developed by Airbus’ E-Aircraft Systems unit.
The first full electric propulsion test bench has the capability to operate the propulsion system chain from flight controls to the dynamic loads of the propellers. This allows the verification of the electric, mechanical and thermal dynamics. After being maturated and verified on the iron bird, the propulsion system will be embedded on the demonstrator by mid-2018.
The test bench configuration reflects the CityAirbus architecture including motors, power electronics and distribution boxes developed and produced by Siemens in the frame of the cooperation agreement between Airbus and Siemens on electric propulsion.
Meanwhile the development of the CityAirbus demonstrator itself is on-going. The first structural parts have already been produced and are on the way to being assembled. These important development steps pave the way to the CityAirbus’ first flight before the end of 2018.
CityAirbus is a multi-passenger, self-piloted battery-powered vertical take-off and landing vehicle designed for urban air mobility. It is designed to carry up to four passengers over congested megacities in a fast, affordable and environmentally friendly way.
- Cayman Islands Police orders Airbus H145
- L-3 Communications awarded $22M Contract for TH-57 Contractor Logistics Services
- Macquarie Rotorcraft Leasing buys Waypoint for $650 Million
- Russian Helicopters to certify a service center in Egypt in 2019
- Bell and Moog Collaborate
- UK MoD details Sea King asbestos risk – and how to claim
- Schiebel doubles Camcopter S-100 production capacity
- Aspen Avionics Names Vice President of Operations
- Association of Air Ambulances Charity relaunches as Air Ambulances UK
- Arts Council renews Helicopter Museum Accreditation
- Able Breaks Ground on Major Mesa
- Donaldson appoints Account Executive for Rotorcraft
- BLADE Launches Urban Air Mobility Pilot Program
- SUU Aviation Program Adds a New Helicopter
- SAFE Structure delivers Lakota stands to New Mexico National Guard
- Mitsui Bussan signs four-helicopter contract
- AAMS responds to CNN article on air ambulance pricing
- Saskatchewan renews 10 year STARS funding contract
- Managing Director at Babcock and HeliOffshore board member shares thoughts on safety
- Garmin® awarded supplier of the year by Airbus Helicopters