The Belgian Federal Police are to acquire a fifth MD Explorer after buying a pre-owned aircraft from a local operator.
The force started their journey with MD Helicopters in 1997 when they put three MD900 Explorers to work, supplementing these two years later with a pair of two single engine MD520s. They then added a fourth MD Explorer in 2010 after buying a low-hour example in the market from Denmark.
This latest acquisition has been bought from Belgian based operator NHV, who previously operated it in France on an air ambulance contract. It is a 2009 build with serial 900-00137, and will need an extensive conversion to its new law enforcement role before flying as “G-17” in due course. NHV are increasingly focusing on offshore operations, but do still have three other MD Explorers in their fleet.
The Belgian Police also operate two Cessna 182 fixed wing and are involved in the operation of a further law enforcement MD Explorer for the Luxembourg Police.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- VFS 2020 Annual Awards announcements
- COVID-19 – Australian Rotortech event postponed to October
- USHST Infrastructure Working Group Completes 6th Annual Helicopter Infrastructure Summit
- FAA certifies Onboard Systems dual hook for Bell 206L and 407
- Utah Rotor Pathway Program Receives $1.1 Million Grant
- COVID-19 – Air BP to supply free fuel to a number of air ambulance services in England and Wales
- COVID-19 – EASA processing new aircraft configurations for medical transport at high priority
- HSM-70 Change-of-Command
- FAA Grants NATA Requested Crewmember Relief
- Airbus Helicopters launches RTEX tool to monitor Service Bulletins
- COVID-19 – Omni adapts four aircraft to transport suspected cases of COVID-19
- FAA advice on expiring air medical certificates was released prematurely and is invalid
- COVID-19 – London Heliport announces temporary closure
- Lockheed Martin’s FARA Enters Prototype Phase
- COVID-19 – 3 British Army AW159 Wildcats have been deployed to support UK with COVID-19
- HAI Urges Caution Re FAA Announcement for Airmen Medical Certificates
- Crash-resistant Fuel System Developed for Russian Ka-226T
- NCHCF continues to raise funds for heliport at Melfort Hospital
- DRF Luftrettung starts using new isolation stretchers
- COVID-19 – Leonardo to provide resources and people in support of COVID-19