Leonardo announced today the delivery of two AW119Kx single engine helicopters to Akagera Aviation of Rwanda. The aircraft feature a customized convertible configuration for passenger transport or emergency medical service (EMS) depending on mission requirements. The two AW119Kx add to an AW109 GrandNew and an AW139 already operated by Akagera Aviation for transport and EMS duties in the country since 2010. Rwanda became the first Central African country to introduce into service a dedicated, state-of-the-art EMS helicopter with the delivery of the AW109 GrandNew.
The four aircraft are perfectly suited to operate in the hot and high conditions of Rwanda and will provide a significant increase to airborne services nationwide supporting local communities. The AW119Kx helicopters just delivered will also support the growing demand for tourism in Rwanda, allowing an increasing number of visitors to easily access the amazing natural attractions.
The AW119Kx is a best in class single engine helicopter featuring a state-of-the-art avionics system for enhanced situational awareness, mission effectiveness and safety. The AW119Kx has a large cabin able to accommodate up to six passengers and redundancy of all critical systems that are typically available on twin engine aircraft, ensuring outstanding safety. Nearly 300 AW119 helicopters have been ordered to date by over 120 customers in almost 40 countries. The new AW119Kx is perfectly suited to perform many roles including EMS, utility, fire-fighting, law enforcement, VIP/Corporate transport, pilot training and public service duties.
Leonardo has experienced significant growth in Africa in recent years with approximately 500 helicopters of various types sold. Significant markets for its aircraft in the Sub-Saharan African region in the last 10 years include Equatorial Guinea, Congo Brazzaville, Uganda, Rwanda and Kenya. Applications cover passenger transport, EMS, surveillance, law enforcement and other public utility missions.
Established in 2004 and headquartered at the Kigali International Airport, Akagera Aviation is a leading aviation company in Rwanda providing high quality helicopter services including helicopter operations, maintenance and training. Akagera Aviation is also the first tourist operator in the country.
- Vertical Flight Society to Highlight eVTOL Revolution at Heli-Expo 2019
- Upgrades to Inverness hospital life-Saving Helipad
- Portugal’s Air Force takes delivery of first two AW119Kx
- USCG starts MH-65E Initial Operational Test And Evaluation
- Honeywell to launch eVTOL hybrid-electric propulsion system at Heli-Expo 2019
- Advanced Turbine Engine Company Files Protest For ITEP
- Nominations Open for the International Aerial Firefighting Awards 2019
- Heligo receives its first H145
- DRF releases 2018 operating statistics
- IBAC Welcomes New IS-BAO Operations Manager
- HAL takes leading role in organising Aero India 2019
- Russian Helicopters identified potential partners in localization of Ka-226T in India
- DRF Luftrettung – “Use of unmanned aerial vehicles in emergency medicine”
- Genesys HeliSAS stability augmentation system now certified for IFR
- Ace Aeronautics sells three UH-60s to Austrian military
- DRF Luftrettung and Lufthansa Aviation Training cooperate
- Russian Helicopters to take part in Aero India 2019
- Canada donates surplus Coast Guard Bo105 to BCIT
- Major PHI shareholder issues Open Letter to Management
- Jämtlandsflyg to seize operations