CHC Helicopter unveiled the Ngarluma names of their two new AW189 helicopters in Karratha.
The chosen names, Garlawirrura and Warduwardura, are the Ngarluma words for dragonfly and a small inland grass bird that hovers.
The two twin-engine aircraft carry up to 16 passengers per flight to and from Woodside’s installations on the North West Shelf. They were the first super-medium helicopters introduced into Australia earlier this year and represent a new generation of aircraft.
CHC recognises the importance of learning and celebrating the indigenous languages in the communities in which it operates and asked the Ngarluma community permission to give the two aircraft Ngarluma names.
“Language is such an important part of culture. As part of our commitment to reconciliation and our Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP), CHC wanted to give these helicopters names that celebrated the lands over which they fly,” said Karl Fessenden, President and CEO of CHC Helicopter. “We thought the two names offered by the Ngarluma Elders were perfect, ancient names for animals of flight for our new state-of-the-art aircraft.”
The aircraft are based at the Karratha Airport.
- Slovenian Police receive first of two AW169s
- LCI launches 1st helicopter co-investment vehicle
- Life Flight Network and Saint Alphonsus Celebrate 10 Years
- Rostec will offer renewal of South Korean Ka-32 fleet
- Leonardo appoints UI International as Korea distributor
- Safran selects Onsight AR platform for remote customer support
- Japanese Prefectures Place Orders for Bell 412EPI
- Air Methods Relocates Black Hills Life Flight Base to Rapid City
- New York Helicopter Charter files for bankruptcy protection
- Denel helicopters not affected by aerostructures business exit
- Honeywell upgrades power and fuel efficiency on T55 engine for Chinook
- Canada approves AS350/EC130 Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank
- Sikorsky Introduces RAIDER X™
- US Army trialing new helicopter pilot training program
- NFAC tests next-generation military helicopter
- Aero Asset’s Q3 Preowned Helicopter Market Trends show improving conditions
- Sikorsky Showcases New Combat Rescue Helicopter
- UK Helicopter Museum celebrates 30 years
- Helity appointed AW139 Maintenance Centre by Leonardo
- Bell Appoints China State Grid GA as a Bell429 Authorized Maintenance Center