The European Union’s new Commission Regulation 2016/1119, which takes effect from 1st July, 2018, formally recognises the safety benefits of Health and Usage Monitoring Systems (HUMS) by requiring European operators to install approved equipment and adopt approved procedures for using it. These specific requirements take effect from 1st January, 2019.
In fact, many operators are already using HUMS and experts from HeliOffshore member companies have developed HUMS Best Practice Guidelines and Implementation Guide to help the technology to be implemented as effectively as possible. The guidelines, which have been updated since first introduced, are available to download from the Resources page of HeliOffshore.org. HeliOffshore encourages operators to study these guidelines and consider how they could constructively be incorporated into their operations.
The main safety benefits of sensor-based HUMS technology stem from the actionable information that the systems generate about the health and performance of mission critical components in helicopters. This allows maintainers to make data-informed decision about the work that is required to ensure aircraft operate safely. HUMS are increasingly effective in providing additional data on emerging technical issues and, with the development of advanced detection systems, the accuracy and predictability of HUMS continues to improve.
- First AW189 launched in Korea
- CAMP Systems and Hillsboro Establish Partnership
- Astronautics RoadRunner™ brings enhanced capabilities to Firehawk
- DART High Capacity Cargo Nets fit the bill for Aeróleo Táxi Aéreo
- AMS and AUTOFLUG sign cooperation agreement
- FreeFlight Systems announces new radar altimeter display for operators
- Falcon Aviation to showcase at first Saudi International Airshow
- Blue Hawaiian Helicopters Unveils New Website & Video Series
- PIF Announces Launch of The Helicopter Company
- NHV Group appoints new CEO
- PHI enters Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- UK AAIB Bulletin – March 2019
- Smart heli-hook helps raise angel to realm of glory
- Astronautics introduces IBEX™ family
- Sterling Launches New Version of QuickOnline Mobile App
- IMT Vislink showcases updated AVDS System
- Toll Helicopters and Seeing Machines have joined forces
- Helicentre announces scholarship winners
- PhilJets orders 3 Bell 505 Helicopters
- HAI Partners with JSfirm.com to Address Shortage