The European Union’s new Commission Regulation 2016/1119, which takes effect from 1st July, 2018, formally recognises the safety benefits of Health and Usage Monitoring Systems (HUMS) by requiring European operators to install approved equipment and adopt approved procedures for using it. These specific requirements take effect from 1st January, 2019.
In fact, many operators are already using HUMS and experts from HeliOffshore member companies have developed HUMS Best Practice Guidelines and Implementation Guide to help the technology to be implemented as effectively as possible. The guidelines, which have been updated since first introduced, are available to download from the Resources page of HeliOffshore.org. HeliOffshore encourages operators to study these guidelines and consider how they could constructively be incorporated into their operations.
The main safety benefits of sensor-based HUMS technology stem from the actionable information that the systems generate about the health and performance of mission critical components in helicopters. This allows maintainers to make data-informed decision about the work that is required to ensure aircraft operate safely. HUMS are increasingly effective in providing additional data on emerging technical issues and, with the development of advanced detection systems, the accuracy and predictability of HUMS continues to improve.
- Kaman Recognized by Sikorsky as Elite Supplier
- Maelstrom AFB opens Helicopter Operations Alert Facility
- EHang to Expand Production Facility
- Rotor Accessories produces tear-resistant R44 sun shades
- HeliSpeed signs SAR support agreement with British International
- Airinmar selected by Air Methods for warranty and value engineering services
- Former HAI chairman Wisecup passes away
- AAMS issue statement on HHS report on surprise medical billing
- Wilson Construction upgrades MD500E to MD530F standard
- Transport Canada Approve HTC metal blades for Bell 204, 205 and UH-1
- Nigerian union pickets Bristow Helicopters
- Russian Helicopters delivers first Mi-8AMT to Vityaz-Aero
- EHang 216 Obtained Special Flight Operations Certificate from TCCA
- 04-Aug-20 RA-06353 Robinson R66 Mount Belukha, Russia
- 04-Aug-20 D-HIPO Bell 47G4A Lübstorf, Germany
- Babcock wins major new contracts with Total E&P UK
- Triumph to provide helicopter MRO services to Global Aerospace Logistics
- MedEvac Foundation Invites Participants to Virtual Event
- SPAES H145 night vision approvals updated for new tactical radios
- Police Aviation News – August 2020 Edition