Helicopter Association International (HAI) has joined a coalition of ten other aviation-related associations in delivering a letter to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regarding the Ligado Networks Proposal.
The Ligado Networks Proposal seeks to establish a cellular network within a satellite frequency band adjacent to the band used by aviation global positioning systems. The aviation groups seek testing to ensure there is no interference with guidance systems on aircraft operating near the towers.
“Specifically, we remain concerned with the initiative by Ligado Networks to establish a terrestrial cellular network within what is a satellite frequency band,” states the letter, dated June 15, 2018. “Interference issues that have the potential to negatively impact the operational aviation environment remain unresolved, and require definitive testing and evaluation before any system deployment.
“We fully recognize the value that robust connectivity systems offer during aviation operations,” the letter continues. “Enhanced communications, real-time data exchange and flight tracking, as examples, can all benefit from such systems. However, we cannot ignore the risk potential that the Ligado Networks proposal presents to aviation operations.”
A complete version of the letter, including the list of signatories from each association, can be read here: http://bit.ly/HAI-Ligado
The other associations which support the testing include Air Line Pilots Association; Airborne Public Safety Association; Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association; Airlines for America; Association of Air Medical Services, Helicopter Safety Advisory Conference; National Agricultural Aviation Association; National Business Aviation Association; National EMS Pilots Association; and the Professional Helicopter Pilots Association.
- Jämtlandsflyg to seize operations
- Aeronautical Accessories to distribute GPMS HUMS for 407 i
- FAA Establishes Restrictions on Drone Operations over DOJ and DOD Facilities
- ESG offering Smart Mission Display for helicopters and mission aircraft
- Rosoboronexport Ready to Expand Cooperation
- Kopter Group will exhibit its SH09 at Heli-Expo 2019
- Devon Air Ambulance flies 27,000th mission
- Airbus eDynamic troubleshooting tool
- Airbus Keycopter at Heli-Expo 2019
- 8 Golden Rules About Weather and Helicopter Flights
- Southwest Fuel Systems Announces Facility Relocation and Expansion
- New Trustee for Taranaki Rescue Helicopter Trust
- UK EMS charities invited to bid for share of £10m funding
- Israel orders seven Leonardo AW119Kx trainers to replace Bell 206s
- Boeing Awarded $13M Contract for Qatar Armed Forces AH-64E Support
- Leonardo opens a new facility in Pisa
- 17-Feb-19 LN-ORH Robinson R44 Røldal, Norway (2F)
- 17-Feb-19 ZK- Airbus AS350 Nelson, New Zealand
- DART gets TCCA approval for its improved H130 Emergency Flotation System
- HAI President Message – Still going strong after 70 years