On 19 August 2018 join in this global celebration of one of the world’s greatest engineering inventions.
World Helicopter Day aims to raise awareness of the contributions that helicopters make to our society and celebrate the diverse range of people that design, fly and support them. The day is held on the 3rd Sunday of August each year. 2018 will be the fourth year of the event.
Throughout the world every day there are people relying on helicopters for rescues, disaster relief, transport, firefighting, medical transfers, powerline maintenance, tourism, agriculture and many more roles.
“If a man is in need of rescue, an airplane can come in and throw flowers on him, and that’s just about all. But a direct lift aircraft could come in and save his life.” – Helicopter pioneer Igor Sikorsky
There are an estimated 56,200 helicopters worldwide and the industry employs more than 500,000 people.
Helicopter organisations and companies can support this international day through hosting their own open days. This a chance for members of the public to get up close and look over the helicopters while meeting the people that operate them.
For rotary wing aviators and support staff, World Helicopter Day is an opportunity for the helicopter fraternity to share in their common passion while preserving and promoting relationships, traditions and shared memories.
The website will maintain a register of worldwide events that local communities can access to see what is happening in their local area. Individual open day organisers are encouraged to submit their event details and company logos to be included via the main website http://worldhelicopterday.com
Open day organisers can download a range of promotional collateral from the website including press releases for local media, tweetables, flyers and online banners.
The hashtag #worldhelicopterday will be used to tie in activity across different social media platforms.
If you have never experienced a flight in a helicopter then World Helicopter Day might just be the perfect time to give this a try.
- DART gets TCCA approval for its improved H130 Emergency Flotation System
- HAI President Message – Still going strong after 70 years
- Airbus reports strong Full-Year 2018 results
- Bell 407GXI certified in China
- India looking for 111 Naval Utility Helicopters
- FreeFlight Systems announces Sapphire Elite recognition program
- Contracts signed for air medical evacuation services in Europe and Africa
- Service center ODK-Klimov and UTair-Engineering helped Sanaviatsii
- Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal implements new Kathmandu heli-lanes
- Coptersafety provides update on H125 simulator
- USHST Sees Safety Benefits of Integrating UAS and OPA Technology into Helicopter Operations
- Universal Avionics to present innovative flight deck solutions at Heli-Expo
- UK AAIB Bulletin – February 2019
- DART’s H135 Crosstubes get approvals
- Heli-Union commences contract in French Guyana with two AS365Ns
- Raytheon Awarded $15M Contract for CV-22 Software Delivery
- Kailash Helicopter plans to add more helicopters
- Hungary buys nine pre-owned Airbus EC135s
- Austria – HeliAir upgrades OAMTC Airbus H135
- Volocopter works with Fraport to develop airport infrastructure