The training arm of the UK Civil Aviation Authority (UK CAA), CAA International (CAAi), has announced a brand new, two-day training course on risk-based oversight and surveillance.
Risk-Based Oversight, or Performance-Based Regulation as it is commonly known in the UK, is an oversight system which compliments compliance-based auditing. A risk-based approach allows regulators to fully identify and understand risks, allowing for a better allocation of CAA resource to directly influence and mitigate those conditions that threaten aviation safety the most. In 2014, the UK CAA was one of the first aviation regulators to adopt a risk-based approach. The UK CAA recognised that with more demand being placed on the aviation industry, compliance-based oversight was not enough to fully manage the safety risks that exist.
This new course, developed by active UK CAA regulators, aims to provide a foundation of risk and performance-based oversight principles. Delegates will learn how to measure an entity to determine baseline oversight levels, identify the key components of a risk-based oversight audit cycle, the importance of the collaboration between the entity oversight team members to fully determine the risk picture and the analytical techniques needed to produce safety performance indicators to monitor trends and identify risks.
Mark Vincent, Risk-Based Oversight Manager at the UK CAA said, “Global interest in risk-based or performance-based oversight has made steady progress over the past few years. With both EASA and ICAO advocating a risk-based approach, many more regulators are keen to adopt. Using the UK’s approach to risk-based oversight and lessons learnt, this course will allow aviation professionals to explore risk-based oversight principles in practice and give fellow regulators the confidence to develop and implement risk-based surveillance in their industry.
The CAA’s first Risk-Based Oversight & Surveillance course will take place at the CAA’s London Gatwick training facilities in November 2018.
- Elbit Systems completes acquisition of Harris Night Vision Business
- MDHI Awarded CLS and training contract
- Sheffield Children’s Hospital Helipad receives £562,500 boos
- FlightSafety now offers safety and security training for corporate crews and passengers
- Hampshire and IOW Air Ambulance missions up 62% year-on-year
- Airbus Foundation supports Bolivian efforts to fight fires in Amazon
- Students STEP into the Future with Bell
- Luton Airport to provide free fuel to Children’s Air Ambulance
- Omni signs 24 month contract with Constellation Oil
- Metro Aviation takes delivery of first Airbus EC145e
- Mecaer Delivers Bell 505 MAGnificent
- More than $360,000 raised for STARS
- AeroVironment unveils VAPOR all-electric helicopter UAS
- StandardAero expands with Safe Aviation Solutions acquisition
- CPI Aero gains orders for T70 Turkish Utility Helicopter Program
- CHC Appoints New Executive Lead for Global Operations and Supply Chain
- HAI President/CEO Named to USDOT Safety Oversight and Certification Advisory Committee
- Able Opens New Expansion of Headquarters
- Leonardo puts forward AW149 at DSEI 2019
- Russian operator Skypro adds fourth AW139