Babcock Aviation has selected a full suite of new-generation digital video equipment, including Avalex AVM4178Q 17-inch HD widescreen displays, Avalex AVC1816 Smart Video Management System and the Avalex AVR8414 HD DVR, as part of the fleet upgrade program for a fleet of five Airbus H135 helicopters operated by Western Power Distribution (WPD). This enables WPD to more efficiently monitor and manage their network of power distribution lines across the Midlands, South West England and Wales.
“We are very pleased and honored to have our equipment selected as part of this critical helicopter upgrade program,” said Tony Hatten, Vice President of Business Development for Avalex Technologies. “The helicopters play a vital role in enabling Western Power Distribution to monitor the nearly 137,000 miles of overhead lines and underground cables that delivers power to over 7.8 million customers.
“Our new-generation video equipment will not only enable their crews to see the condition of the lines with unparalleled clarity and accuracy, it will also provide the flexibility to digitally record the images for further analysis once the aircraft has arrived back at its base,” he said. “And because our equipment is ruggedized for helicopter operations, it will dramatically increase hardware reliability, while reducing system maintenance and downtime.”
The fleet upgrade that is being completed by Babcock Aviation at its base in Staverton, includes two Avalex 17-inch HD monitors, a single Avalex 10-inch HD display, an Avalex multi-channel HD digital video recorder (DVR) and the Avalex Smart Video Management System. Other special missions equipment includes stabilized infrared camera turrets, LIDAR laser surveying devices and ergonomically optimized workstations for the cabin and cockpit crews.
“We have worked very closely with Babcock Aviation to select and supply mission equipment that not only meets WPD’s current operational needs, but has the capabilities to grow and provide expanded services while guaranteeing the upgrade path to protect their investment,” Hatten said.
- Indonesian Army selects 9 Bell 412EPI
- NHV expands executive team
- HAL LCH Demonstrates Unique Capability
- Sikorsky Awarded $7M Contract for CH-53K Systems Modifications
- Adar Poonawalla takes delivery of India’s first ACH145
- Helijet supports Power To Be with new partnership
- HeliOffshore Appoints New Chief Operating Officer
- Unique Aerospace Physiology and Human Performance Update Course to be provided at Heli-Expo 2019
- Triumph Awarded DLA Contract Extension
- Sikorsky grants Make-A-Wish® Foundation with a S-76 ride
- 7 trainee paramedics start at HIOW Air Ambulance
- Bristow FY2019 Q3 earnings release and concall scheduled
- Donate Items to the HFI Silent Auction
- USMC receives last UH-1Y Venom
- NEMSPA/USHST Joint IFR Helicopter Pilot Survey
- NHRMC Stations AirLink Aircraft at Medical Center
- CHC wins planning approval for Aberdeen facility upgrade
- Profile – Kathryn Purwin of Helinet
- DRF Luftrettung opens 10th night flight station
- Austin Peay introduces first helicopter in its rotor-wing fleet